Saturday, March 10, 2012

Verse of the Day 3/10

1 Peter 1:3 (ESV)  Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead,
 
In John chapter 3 Jesus tells Nicodemus that he (and we) must be born again.  Today's verse tells us what we are "born into".  It is a new life, a life of hope that begins now and will endure through an eternity through the challenges and trials of this life.
 
This verse and that thought have been on my mind in recent weeks.  I've known of the passing of some that have had this living hope and I'm aware of some that are facing current trials and are facing what for them is an uncertain future, an uncertain eternity.  They have no peace but instead there is anxiety and fear which can lead to depression and despair.
 
Last week in our church service we sang "It is Well With My Soul" and heard the story of the circumstances during which it was written.  It was one that could easily have brought on the fear, anxiety, and despair just described.  But through faith Horatio Spafford was able to say "it is well" and share those thoughts and feelings with generations of people facing the trials of their lives.  I know personally, for Jean and I, it was a song that came to us in our dark night of the soul.
I'd like to share some of the lyrics to Chris Tomlin's song "I Will Rise" which revolves around the same thought - "it is well".
 
There's a peace I've come to know
Though my heart and flesh may fail
There's an anchor for my soul
I can say "It is well"

Jesus has overcome
And the grave is overwhelmed
The victory is won
He is risen from the dead

[Chorus]
And I will rise when He calls my name
No more sorrow, no more pain
I will rise on eagles' wings
Before my God fall on my knees
And rise
I will rise
 
Do you have this living hope?  If yes, praise God.  Do you know of someone who needs this hope?  Pray for them and share it with them today.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

1 Peter 1:3-7 (ESV) Born Again to a Living Hope

 Blessed be the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ! According to his great mercy, he has caused us to be born again to a living hope through the resurrection of Jesus Christ from the dead, to an inheritance that is imperishable, undefiled, and unfading, kept in heaven for you, who by God's power are being guarded through faith for a salvationready to be revealed in the last time. In this you rejoice, though now for a little while, if necessary, you have been grieved by various trials, so that the tested genuineness of your faith—more precious than gold that perishes though it is tested by fire—may be found to result in praise and glory and honor at the revelation of Jesus Christ.

No comments: