Monday, March 12, 2012

Verse of the Day 3/12

John 14:1-2 (NLT) "Don't let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God, and trust also in me. 2 There is more than enough room in my Father's home. If this were not so, would I have told you that I am going to prepare a place for you?
 
Perhaps it was Judy Garland as Dorothy in the Wizard of Oz that popularized the saying "there's no place like home", but today's verses give Christians that sort of feeling, that belief that we do have a home waiting for us, custom built for us.
 
Over the weekend we considered the words from Chris Tomlin's song I will rise - Jesus has overcome ,And the grave is overwhelmed.   As Christians we are overcomers, as a friend reminded me regarding this weekends post.  Because Jesus has overcome the grave we have confidence that He has the power to do the same for us.  Today's verses, this chapter John 14 is one that act as that "anchor of the soul" referenced in the song from Hebrews 6:
Hebrews 6:19 (NLT) This hope is a strong and trustworthy anchor for our souls.
 
The statement "do not let your hearts be troubled" is repeated in verse 27, a verse in which Jesus offers His peace to us, a peace of confidence and trust that we need in times of trouble.  If you have some time today or in the next few days, spend some time in this chapter.  In it you'll find find other promises such as "I will not leave you as orphans, I will come to you".
 
Yes, in this world we will face troubles and trials, but through it all we are challenged to trust and believe in Jesus, to learn and depend upon Him and His Word.
 
Andre Crouch wrote the following words in "Through it All"
 
Through it all, through it all,
I've learned to trust in Jesus, I've learned to trust in God.
Through it all, through it all,
I've learned to depend upon His Word.
 
May we learn to depend upon His Words today, including John 14:1-2 Don't let your hearts be troubled.  Trust in God and trust also in me.
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
 
John 14:1-6 English Standard Version (ESV)
 
"Let not your hearts be troubled. Believe in God; believe also in me. In my Father's house are many rooms. If it were not so, would I have told you that I go to prepare a place for you? And if I go and prepare a place for you, I will come again and will take you to myself, that where I am you may be also. And you know the way to where I am going."  Thomas said to him, "Lord, we do not know where you are going. How can we know the way?" Jesus said to him, "I am the way, and the truth, and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.

No comments: