Thursday, March 22, 2012

Verse of the Day 3/22

Psalm 144:3-4 (NLT)  O LORD, what are human beings that you should notice them,
      mere mortals that you should think about them?
 4 For they are like a breath of air; their days are like a passing shadow.

People like to make much of themselves, they like being noticed, appreciated and even envied.  Secularism has to do with elevating man to be the measure of all things and a law unto himself, he can determine right and wrong.
 
The Bible gives us a different picture.  Man, our lives are fleeting and are described in the Bible as vapors, a breath, dreams and as shadows.  I got the image of the fleeting shadows of a passing cloud on a bright summer (or spring) day.  The older we get the more  we realize how true this is.
 
August Crull in the hymn "What is the World to Me" wrote in 1923:
 
The world is like a cloud
And like a vapor fleeting
A shadow that declines,
Swift to end its retreating,
My Jesus doth abide,
Though all things fade and flee,
My everlasting rock -
What is the world to me?
 
The world seeks after wealth,
All that mammon offers,
Yet never is content,
I have a higher good,
Content with it I'll be;
My Jesus is my wealth -
What is the world to me?
 
The world with wanton pride
Exalts its sinful pleasures
And for them foolishly
Gives up the heavenly treasures.
Let others love the world
With all its vanity;
I love the Lord my God,
What is the world to me?
 
Instead of chasing dreams that will vanish like a vapor or as a passing shadow, invest your hopes and dreams in faith in Jesus, something that will last.
  
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Psalm 144:1-7 (ESV) My Rock and My Fortress

144 Blessed be the Lord, my rock,
     who trains my hands for war,
    and my fingers for battle;
he is my steadfast love and my fortress,
    my stronghold and my deliverer,
my shield and he in whom I take refuge,
    who subdues peoples[a] under me.

O Lord, what is man that you regard him,
    or the son of man that you think of him?
Man is like a breath;
    his days are like a passing shadow.

No comments: