Friday, March 23, 2012

Verse of the Day 3/23

Exodus 3:11-12 (NLT) But Moses protested to God, "Who am I to appear before Pharaoh? Who am I to lead the people of Israel out of Egypt?"
12 God answered, "I will be with you. And this is your sign that I am the one who has sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God at this very mountain."
 
In yesterday's verse David asked the question, "what is man that you are mindful of him"?  On a personal level he was asking "who am I".  It is the same question asked by God's servants throughout the Bible, throughout history.
Moses grew up in Pharaoh's household.  Was well known and had great influence.  He came to realize who he was and went about trying to serve and defend his people in his power by his means.  It led to disaster.  He escaped with his life but spent 40 years wandering in the desert.  40 years to truly find out who he was and then to be taught the fear of and power of God.
 
In his book, "Men of the Bible", evangelist D.L. Moody writes of Moses, "He had dropped out of the public mind for forty years, and they didn't know what had become of him.  He was the very man of all others that God wanted, and when he met God with that question, "who am I?" it didn't matter who he was but who his God was.  When men learn the lesson that they are nothing and God is everything, then there is not a position in which God cannot use them."
 
It is the person that asks the question "who am I" that God uses, not the one that says "look who I am".  This is the person who will then go to the Great I Am and say, as the prophet Isaiah did, "here I am, send me".
 
If we are going to accomplish things for God, it is not because of who we are, but who our God is, and whose we are.
 
John 3:30 (NLT)  He must become greater and greater, and I must become less and less.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Exodus 3:11-15 New Living Translation (NLT)

11 But Moses protested to God, "Who am I to appear before Pharaoh? Who am I to lead the people of Israel out of Egypt?"

12 God answered, "I will be with you. And this is your sign that I am the one who has sent you: When you have brought the people out of Egypt, you will worship God at this very mountain."

13 But Moses protested, "If I go to the people of Israel and tell them, 'The God of your ancestors has sent me to you,' they will ask me, 'What is his name?' Then what should I tell them?"

14 God replied to Moses, "I Am Who I Am. Say this to the people of Israel: I Am has sent me to you." 15 God also said to Moses, "Say this to the people of Israel: Yahweh, the God of your ancestors—the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob—has sent me to you.

This is my eternal name,
    my name to remember for all generations.

No comments: