Monday, March 26, 2012

Verse of the Day 3/26

2 Corinthians 12:9 (AMP) But He said to me, My grace (My favor and loving-kindness and mercy) is enough for you [sufficient against any danger and enables you to bear the trouble manfully]; for My strength and power are made perfect (fulfilled and completed) and show themselves most effective in [your] weakness. Therefore, I will all the more gladly glory in my weaknesses and infirmities, that the strength and power of Christ (the Messiah) may rest (yes, may pitch a tent over and dwell) upon me!
 
Pastor Bob's sermon yesterday centered on this passage from 2 Corinthians 12 about the "thorn in the flesh" that Paul had asked God to remove, but God did not choose to remove.  Many of us have our own "thorn in the flesh" in the way of illnesses or chronic conditions that just don't and may not ever go away.
 
As I was following along yesterday I read today's verse in the Amplified Bible.  The end of the verse caught my attention.  Paul realized that his and our weaknesses our thorns may just be that way that Christ will choose to display His power and His grace in us.  The last phrase that His strength may rest - may pitch a tent over and dwell upon me.  It brought back visions from the Old Testament and how the Angel of the Lord "encamps" around His people.  You might say he sets up shop over us while we go through it.  The tent is a temporary dwelling.  It may be for days, weeks or even a lifetime here on earth.  But we look forward to the everlasting future, and eternal dwelling place where these thorns will be removed.
 
Today's "Our Daily Bread" devotional dealt with the same passage and went by the heading "Avenue to Power".  Have you realized in your life that your thorns, your troubles, just may have been the road to a deeper relationship to Christ?
 
If you find yourself there today, may Christ the Messiah "pitch a tent" over you.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

2 Corinthians 12:8-10 New Living Translation (NLT)

Three different times I begged the Lord to take it away. Each time he said, "My grace is all you need. My power works best in weakness." So now I am glad to boast about my weaknesses, so that the power of Christ can work through me. 10 That's why I take pleasure in my weaknesses, and in the insults, hardships, persecutions, and troubles that I suffer for Christ. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

No comments: