Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Verse of the Day 1/21


Psalm 119:18 Open my eyes, that I may see wonderful things in your law.  New International Version (NIV)

Psalm 119 has 176 verses, and I believe that it is all but three of them mention God's Word in the form of the law, His statutes, decrees, commandments and testimonies.  It should point to the importance of God's Word in the life of the psalmist and in us.

Our church, as a community has begun a 9 week read through the New Testament adventure.  For many it will be the first time doing so.  I am looking forward to the weekly meetings that we'll have to discuss what we've read and learned and what it will mean to our lives individually and corporately.  This will not be a study but a personal experience, not relying on commentators and study guides but on the Spirit's leading in God's Word.

John Newton wrote, "We learn more, and more effectually, by one minute's communication with God through the medium of His written Word, than we could from an assembly of theologians, or a library of books."  That I believe it the thinking behind this event.  This statement is amazing and it comes from the writer of the most famous hymn of all time "Amazing Grace".  I don't think that John Newton learned of this amazing grace from a theologian or commentator but from reading His Word.

  1. Amazing grace! How sweet the sound
    That saved a wretch like me!
    I once was lost, but now am found;
    Was blind, but now I see.
  2. 'Twas grace that taught my heart to fear,
    And grace my fears relieved;
    How precious did that grace appear
    The hour I first believed.
  1. The Lord has promised good to me,
    His Word my hope secures;
    He will my Shield and Portion be,
    As long as life endures.
  2. Psalm 119:12 Blessed are you, O LORD; teach me your statutes!  ESV


Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Psalm 119:9-16New International Version (NIV)

ב Beth

How can a young person stay on the path of purity?
    By living according to your word.
10 I seek you with all my heart;
    do not let me stray from your commands.
11 I have hidden your word in my heart
    that I might not sin against you.
12 Praise be to you, Lord;
    teach me your decrees.
13 With my lips I recount
    all the laws that come from your mouth.
14 I rejoice in following your statutes
    as one rejoices in great riches.
15 I meditate on your precepts
    and consider your ways.
16 I delight in your decrees;
    I will not neglect your word.

No comments: