Wednesday, November 28, 2018

Verse of the Day 11/28

Verse of the Day 11/28

2 Peter 3:18    But grow in the grace and knowledge of our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. To Him be the glory both now and to the day of eternity.   Amen.    Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

In the benediction to this letter that we know of as 2 Peter, Peter calls for his readers, including us, to "grow in the grace and knowledge " of Jesus Christ.  This type of growth does not occur overnight, it is something that happens day by day, month by month and year by year as we walk this pilgrim way.

John Newton, author of perhaps the most beloved and known hymns of all time, "Amazing Grace", writes: 

"Remember, the growth of a believer is not like a mushroom--but like an oak, which increases slowly--but indeed surely. Many suns, showers, and frosts, pass upon it before it comes to perfection. And in winter, when it seems to be dead--it is gathering strength at the root. Be humble, watchful, and diligent in the means of grace; and endeavor to look through all, and fix your eye upon Jesus--and all shall be well. I commend you to the care of the good Shepherd and Guardian of your souls!"

Mushrooms don't last, but oaks that spring up today and grow, will be around for generations.

I try to read a psalm every day which means that I'll read through the psalms at least twice a year.  There are favorite chapters and one of those came up today.  I've memorized verse 5 from the New King James Version.  It goes along well with today's verse, growth over a lifetime with a hear "set on pilgrimage".  That word pilgrimage always makes me think of John Bunyan's "Pilgrim's Progress".

Psalm 84:5  Blessed is the man whose strength is in You,

Whose heart is set on pilgrimage.   New King James Version (NKJV)

Count yourself blessed if you are on the pilgrim path.  There will be ups and downs but the course is upward, to Him be the glory.

I'm pressing on the upward way,
New heights I'm gaining every day;
Still praying as I onward bound,
"Lord, plant my feet on higher ground."
  Lord, lift me up, and let me stand
By faith on Canaan's tableland;
A higher plane than I have found,
  Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.
2
My heart has no desire to stay
Where doubts arise and fears dismay;
Though some may dwell where these abound,
My prayer, my aim, is higher ground.
3
I want to live above the world,
Though Satan's darts at me are hurled;
For faith has caught the joyful sound,
The song of saints on higher ground.
4
I want to scale the utmost height
And catch a gleam of glory bright;
But still I'll pray till rest I've found,
"Lord, lead me on to higher ground."


--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

2 Peter 3:14-18 The Message (MSG)

14-16 So, my dear friends, since this is what you have to look forward to, do your very best to be found living at your best, in purity and peace. Interpret our Master's patient restraint for what it is: salvation. Our good brother Paul, who was given much wisdom in these matters, refers to this in all his letters, and has written you essentially the same thing. Some things Paul writes are difficult to understand. Irresponsible people who don't know what they are talking about twist them every which way. They do it to the rest of the Scriptures, too, destroying themselves as they do it.

17-18 But you, friends, are well-warned. Be on guard lest you lose your footing and get swept off your feet by these lawless and loose-talking teachers. Grow in grace and understanding of our Master and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Glory to the Master, now and forever! Yes!

No comments: