Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Verse of the Day 12/5

Verse of the Day 12/5

Isaiah 26:3  You keep him in perfect peace

    whose mind is stayed on you,
    because he trusts in you.    English Standard Version (ESV)

Today's verse has been one of the most often posted verses in these devotions over the years because they ring so true through lives challenges.  We are to be "see throughers" and to be able to do so we have to learn to trust, to have God's peace in trying circumstances.

Yesterday I was reading in Spurgeon's "Beauty for Ashes: Sermons on Isaiah" and I just happened to be reading in this chapter yesterday (do you think?).  The verse, the passage and Spurgeon's sermon were things that I needed to hear yesterday.  Spurgeon writes:

"Let us commit ourselves, and all that we are, and all that we have, and all that we have to do, and all that we have to suffer, to the guardian care of our loving God, casting all our care upon Him, for He careth for us. Here we are in God, and here we mean to abide. We are not regretting the grace of yesterday, nor sighing for the grace of to-morrow. We stay where we are—at home with God. Our anchor is down, and we do not mean to draw it up again. "My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise.""

I like that statement "we are stay where we are- at home with God", it is at home with God that we can find peace.  We don't have to go anywhere, although we can be anywhere and be at home with God.  When we are at home with God we can experience the grace of God every day.

As I was reading this the old hymn "Wonderful Grace of Jesus" came to mind, I love the way the music, the notes, the words lift you and it does so because the matchless grace of Jesus reaches us.

Wonderful Grace of Jesus, greater than all my sin;
How shall my tongue describe it,
Where shall its praise begin?
Taking away my burden, setting my spirit free;
O the Wonderful Grace of Jesus reaches me!
Refrain
Wonderful the matchless Grace of Jesus,
the matchless Grace of Jesus,
Deeper than the mighty rolling sea;
the rolling sea;
Wonderful Grace, all sufficient for me, for even 
Higher than the mountain, sparkling like a fountain,
All sufficient Grace for even me.
Broader than the scope of my transgressions,
sing it!
Greater far than all my sin and shame
my sin and shame,
O magnify the precious name of Jesus,
PRAISE HIS NAME!

Whatever you are facing today, cast your cares on Him, may God give you His peace through His matchless grace.


--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Isaiah 26:1-6 The Message (MSG)

Stretch the Borders of Life

26 1-6 At that time, this song
    will be sung in the country of Judah:
We have a strong city, Salvation City,
    built and fortified with salvation.
Throw wide the gates
    so good and true people can enter.
People with their minds set on you,
    you keep completely whole,
Steady on their feet,
    because they keep at it and don't quit.
Depend on God and keep at it
    because in the Lord God you have a sure thing.
Those who lived high and mighty
    he knocked off their high horse.
He used the city built on the hill
    as fill for the marshes.
All the exploited and outcast peoples
    build their lives on the reclaimed land.

No comments: