Monday, July 22, 2024

Verse of the Day 7/22

Verse of the Day 7/22


Psalm 86:16-17
English Standard Version



16 Turn to me and be gracious to me;
    give your strength to your servant,
    and save the son of your maidservant.
17 Show me a sign of your favor,
    that those who hate me may see and be put to shame
    because you, Lord, have helped me and comforted me.


When was the last time that you asked God to be gracious to you, or be mercifuil to you?  If we read through the Psalms we will find many occasions where the Psalmist puts this request to the Lord.  They do not do it because that they deserve it, but because of who God is to them.  God, as our Lord and Savior desires to show us grace and mecry and to provide help in time of need, or at any time for that matter.

Psalm 30:10 says "be merciful to me, my helper".  Psalm 6:2 says "be gracious to me, for I am languishing; heal me O Lord".  That word languishing brings to my mind "trying to keep your head above water and not to drown, can you relate?  Psalm 9:13 says "be gracious to me, see my affliction". Are you afflicted, call out to Him.  Psalm 25:6 says, "be gracious to me, I am lonely and afflicted".  Psalm 31:9 says, "be gracious to me, for I am in distress".  Psalm 41:4 says, "be gracious to me, for I have sinned".

John Piper has defined graces as "pardon with power.  It involves God's forgiveness from sin and God's power to overcome that sin in the future, it is future grace.

What would be your reason to call, cry out to God to be gracious to you today?  Do it. May you experience the fulness of His grace.


1
All the way my Savior leads me;
  What have I to ask beside?
Can I doubt His tender mercy,
  Who through life has been my Guide?
Heav'nly peace, divinest comfort,
  Here by faith in Him to dwell!
For I know, whate'er befall me,
  Jesus doeth all things well,
For I know, whate'er befall me,
  Jesus doeth all things well.
2
All the way my Savior leads me,
  Cheers each winding path I tread,
Gives me grace for every trial,
  Feeds me with the living bread.
Though my weary steps may falter,
  And my soul athirst may be,
Gushing from the Rock before me,
  Lo! a spring of joy I see,
Gushing from the Rock before me,
  Lo! a spring of joy I see.
3
All the way my Savior leads me;
  Oh, the fullness of His grace!
Perfect rest to me is promised
  In my Father's blest embrace.
When my spirit, clothed immortal,
  Wings its flight to realms of day,
This my song through endless ages:
  Jesus led me all the way,
This my song through endless ages:
  Jesus led me all the way.





Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Psalm 86:11-17
New King James Version

11 Teach me Your way, O Lord;
I will walk in Your truth;
[a]Unite my heart to fear Your name.
12 I will praise You, O Lord my God, with all my heart,
And I will glorify Your name forevermore.
13 For great is Your mercy toward me,
And You have delivered my soul from the depths of 

Sheol.

14 O God, the proud have risen against me,
And a mob of violent men have sought my life,
And have not set You before them.
15 But You, O Lord, are a God full of compassion, and gracious,
Longsuffering and abundant in mercy and truth.

16 Oh, turn to me, and have mercy on me!
Give Your strength to Your servant,
And save the son of Your maidservant.
17 Show me a sign for good,
That those who hate me may see it and be ashamed,
Because You, Lord, have helped me and comforted me.


No comments: