Sunday, May 18, 2008

Verse of the Day 5/16

Through the Bible - 2 Kings 18-19, John 6:60-71

Good morning,
I had planned another verse for today but the read through the Bible plan (above) brought me to the end of John 6 this morning. A passage that has become very precious to me.
We've all heard reference to the "darkest hour", most often surrounding a loss, an illness, or a tragic accident. Often that darkest hour comes in the middle of a longer period of emotional and spiritual darkness that goes on for days, weeks, months or....... These trials are hard, yet we are told (if we are being taught correctly) that as Christians we will face "various trials" (James 1:2), Jesus had taught this to His disciples.
Jesus had just finished giving some hard teachings and many were leaving, they would no longer willing to follow.
Jesus turned to the disciples and posed the question to His disciples. He poses the same question to us at some point in our darkness, in the darkest hours.
John 6:66 From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more. 67 Then Jesus said to the twelve, "Do you also want to go away?" NKJV

I've read this passage and looked back on it often. I didn't realize it back then, but this morning, I realized again, that in those dark hours of mine, especially surrounding Jeff's accident and learning of our youngest son Jason's brain tumor, that it wasn't me asking this question, it was Jesus.
I can still remember the where I was the first time Jesus question and Peter''s response came to me, I was near home driving on Powers road, approaching a bend in the road, when Peter's words resounded in my mind. It marked a spiritual "bend in the road" in my life.
John 6:68 But Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."
It was a turning point in my life, Henry Blackaby would call it a "crisis of belief", like Peter, I had come too far, seen too much to turn away. The world didn't offer any answers, give any hope, but Christ had "the words of eternal life, and I believed that He was the Christ, the Son of the living God." There was no turning back, no turning back.
I've faced tough and dark times since then, but they haven't been the same, I've felt His presence more. By God's grace I don't think they ever will be the same because I do know beyond the shadow of a doubt that He has the "words of eternal life".
Have you found yourself in a dark hour? Has Jesus asked you the same question? What will be your response? Will you walk away or answer like Peter?

In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
John 6:60-7:1

Many Disciples Turn Away

60 Therefore many of His disciples, when they heard this, said, "This is a hard saying; who can understand it?"

61 When Jesus knew in Himself that His disciples complained about this, He said to them, "Does this offend you? 62 What then if you should see the Son of Man ascend where He was before? 63 It is the Spirit who gives life; the flesh profits nothing. The words that I speak to you are spirit, and they are life. 64 But there are some of you who do not believe." For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were who did not believe, and who would betray Him. 65 And He said, "Therefore I have said to you that no one can come to Me unless it has been granted to him by My Father."

66 From that time many of His disciples went back and walked with Him no more. 67 Then Jesus said to the twelve, "Do you also want to go away?"
68 But Simon Peter answered Him, "Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life. 69 Also we have come to believe and know that You are the Christ, the Son of the living God."

70 Jesus answered them, "Did I not choose you, the twelve, and one of you is a devil?" 71 He spoke of Judas Iscariot, the son of Simon, for it was he who would betray Him, being one of the twelve.

No comments: