Thursday, January 3, 2013

Verse of the Day 1/3

Verse of the Day 1//3
 
Psalm 101:3  I will not set before my eyes
    anything that is worthless.
I hate the work of those who fall away;
    it shall not cling to me.   English Standard Version (ESV)
 
In my personal devotions I read from the Psalms every day.  This mornings reading brought me to Psalm 101.  The first part of the verse serves as a good "resolution" that would have a major impact on the lives of Christians if heeded with our hearts, minds and eyes.  These "worthless things" may be different for each of us.  They are the things that can lead us astray, keep us from God and His Word.
 
In today's culture we are bombarded by what the NLT calls  "vile and vulgar things".  They are in front of us so much that we can become numb to them.  The challenge, and it is a big one, is not to put them before us.  The word "set" here is one that should be given thought.  It points to intentionally doing something.
 
Reading of "worthless things" brought to mind "vain" things that charm us.  These things have no redeeming value.  They aren't good for us now and they will not pay a positive dividend in the future.  Consider these words from "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross".
 
Forbid it, Lord, that I should boast,
 save in the death of Christ, my God;
 all the vain things that charm me most,
 I sacrifice them to his blood.
 
My devotional reading also brought me to Jeremiah two this morning.  I'll close with the words of Jeremiah which point to where the worthless things lead us and how they will be of no help to us.
 
Jeremiah 2:28  But where are your gods you made for yourself?
Let them rise up and save you
in your time of disaster if they can,
for your gods are as numerous as your cities, Judah.  Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Psalm 101:2-4   New Living Translation (NLT)
2 I will be careful to live a blameless life—
    when will you come to help me?
I will lead a life of integrity
    in my own home.
3 I will refuse to look at
    anything vile and vulgar.
I hate all who deal crookedly;
    I will have nothing to do with them.

4 I will reject perverse ideas
    and stay away from every evil.

No comments: