Monday, September 1, 2008

Verse of the Day - weekend 8/31

Thruugh the Bible - 145-148. 1 Corinthians 11:17-12:11

Good morning,
A couple of this weeks devotionals dealt with the topic of anxiety.
A friend of mine on the mailing list had just brought his oldest daughter to college last week. I can recall the anxiety in that process when our son Jason first went off to school.
He sent the following note to me:
"We have the choice to deal with anxiety the worldly way, i.e. anger, fear, worry, substance abuse and list goes on or deal with it God’s way. I experienced God’s comfort and peace in a brand new way when we took Laina to college; my mind was renewed and now can worship Abba Father with that renewed mind which is utterly fantastic and indescribable. What an unexpected gift I received while sending my daughter to college. God is so intensely in touch with our hearts and sadly most of time we don’t realize it or pursue wanting more of it.
John Piper did a sermon on this passage called “All of Life as Worship” and John says regarding the concept of renewing one’s mind, “Be transformed! It’s present tense, ongoing, continual growth in un-conforming yourself to the world.” John says, “The root issue is more than right thinking. It is right valuing.” In other words John says we need to be renewed so deeply in our minds that we go way beyond the knowledge of it, we approve of it and then treasure it; we understand the immense value of what God is teaching us compared to what the world is teaching us. “…mind-renewal is a deep spiritual change in how the mind assesses things and values things.”

For this weekend's verse we'll turn to Psalm 125:
Ps 125:1 Those who trust in the LordAre like Mount Zion,Which cannot be moved, but abides forever. 2 As the mountains surround Jerusalem,So the Lord surrounds His peopleFrom this time forth and forever.
Or from the Message:
Ps 125:1-2 Those who trust in Godare like Zion Mountain:Nothing can move it, a rock-solid mountainyou can always depend on. Mountains encircle Jerusalem,and God encircles his people — always has and always will.
I know of friends, family members, church members and co-workers in the mailing list for the VOTD that have things going on in their lives that have them anxious about what the future holds for them and their loved ones.
It is in these times that God encircles us with His presence. His presence may also be felt in the community of believers that are there to encircle, support, encourage, and strengthen us in many ways, not the least of which is in prayer.
May we all be able to take comfort in the fact that the Lord "encamps, surrounds, and encircles His people even or especially in these times. As the Message puts it He "always has and always will."
If you have an interest in reading or listening to John Piper's sermon "All of Life as Worship" please go to :http://www.desiringgod.org/ResourceLibrary/Sermons/ByScripture/10/1019_All_of_Life_as_Worship/

If our minds are being transformed it will show in our lives with the Lord being the strength of our hearts.

When a man seriously thinks . . .
it is my God who cheers me with His presence,
it is my God who supports me with His power,
it is my God who guides me by His counsel,
it is my God who supplies me with His goodness,
it is my God who blesses all my blessings to me;
it is my God who afflicts me in love,
it is my God who has broken me in my estate,
it is my God who has sorely visited His child,
it is my God who has passed this sentence of death upon a friend,
it is my God who has thus cast me down-
-how do these thoughts cheer up the spirit of a man, and make every bitter--sweet; and every burden--light unto him.O Christians! A clear sight of your property in God is . . .
a pearl of great price,
your paradise,
manna in a wilderness,
water out of a rock,
a cloud by day,
and a pillar of fire by night,
a salve for every sore,
a cure for every disease,
a remedy against every malady, an anchor at sea,
and a shield on shore,
a star to guide you,
a staff to support you,
a sword to defend you,
a pavilion to hide you,
a fire to warm you,
a banquet to refresh you,
a city of refuge to secure you,
a cordial to cheer you!
What more could you desire? - Thomas Brooks
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
Ps 125:1-126:1
125 Those who trust in Godare like Zion Mountain:Nothing can move it, a rock-solid mountainyou can always depend on. Mountains encircle Jerusalem,and God encircles his people — always has and always will. The fist of the wickedwill never violateWhat is due the righteous,provoking wrongful violence. Be good to your good people, God,to those whose hearts are right! God will round up the backsliders,corral them with the incorrigibles.Peace over Israel!
from THE MESSAGE:

No comments: