Friday, June 3, 2011

Verse of the Day 6/3

Through the Bible - Hosea 9-11, Matthew 19
 
Good morning,
Today we'll conclude our look at the "I am with you" statements that were made to Jacob in the book of Genesis.  It takes up where yesterday's left off.  Jacob realized that God had truly been with him during his life but what was he to do with that knowledge?
Pass it on, bring that awareness and press it upon, impress the next generation that they may have that knowledge, that image in their mind.
 
Gen 48:21 Then Israel said to Joseph, "Behold, I am dying, but God will be with you and bring you back to the land of your fathers.   NKJV

Jacob was at the end and he calls his son to pass on, to assure him of this most important fact.  He then goes on to bless all of his sons before passing away.
 
It has always bothered me when I here some say "I want my child to choose their own religion".  It is true that we can't automatically pass it on, faith in Christ is a personal matter, but we can communicate in words and actions what we truly believe.  Otherwise, we are communicating that we really don't know what is true.
 
Jacob was sure, he had no doubt, he believed in God and looked to a Saviour a deliverer.
 
Boice writes, "The last reference (to I am with you) is the one in our text, spoken on Jacob's deathbed.  Having been told that God was with him and would be with him, and having seen the fulfillment of that promise, Jacob applied those truths to his descendants, saying "God will be with you".  His was a full life and this was the full scope of his testimony.
"I am with you" (Gen. 28:15)
"I will be with you" (Gen. 31:3)
"God has been with me"  (Gen. 31:5, 35:3)
"God will be with you" (Gen. 48:21)
At the end of life each of us should be able to look back on years of walking with God and say that God has indeed been with us, as he promised to be.  And we should be able to share that hope with others."
 
Have you been walking with Him?  If not, why not start today.  If so, share it with others.
 
"We are the children of God!" Romans 8:16

Never let us forget or lose sight of this--but let us live, walk, and act under the impression that, "I am God's child!"

He knows me--and knows all about me.

He loves me--and loves me with the same love with which He loves His only-begotten Son.

He cares for me--and so cares for me that I ought not to be anxious about anything.

He is with me--and will never for one moment trust me out of His sight, or out of the reach of His hand.

He appoints my daily lot--and will overrule everything for my eternal welfare!  - James Smith

In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Gen 48:20-49:1
 
20 So he blessed them that day, saying,"By you Israel will bless, saying, 'May God make you as Ephraim and as Manasseh!'" And thus he set Ephraim before Manasseh.
 
21 Then Israel said to Joseph, "Behold, I am dying, but God will be with you and bring you back to the land of your fathers. 22 Moreover I have given to you one portion above your brothers, which I took from the hand of the Amorite with my sword and my bow."   NKJV

No comments: