Sunday, December 13, 2020

Verse of the Day 12/13

Verse of the Day 12/13/20

 

Psalm 23:6   Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me
    all the days of my life,
and I shall dwell in the house of the Lord
    forever.  English Standard Version (ESV)

 

Many of us when we read today's verse or Psalm 23 in its entirety, think of it in relation to funerals and the end of life, than we do as a verse related to Christmas.  Reading it in the Holman Christian Standard Bible (below) helps give a little different perspective on it and help us relate it to Christmas as well.  It was because of God's great goodness and mercy that God the Father sent Jesus to be born and in sending Him He was pursuing us with His love.

 

I've been thinking of this verse a lot for that last couple of days, part of it surrounding the topic of "guardian angels"  and how "bad things" continue to happen to "good people".  That's a subject for a larger discussions.  But throughout the Bible we see how God's people, His children have suffered through many things but the key is that He is not far away, He came near when He sent His Son and He remains with us every day in the form of the Holy Spirit residing in us.  One man wrote  the following in relation to the goodness and mercy in relation to today's verse – "Goodness to supply every want (need).  Mercy to forgive every sin.  Goodness to provide.  Mercy to pardon."  Isn't that what we find in Jesus during this Christmas season and sung in countless Christmas hymns.

 

God sent Jesus to us all those years ago in pursuit of you and me, to offer grace and forgiveness, mercy and healing.  It may not be a "Christmas" song, but the words go along with these thoughts. 

 

And to all of the people with burdens and pains
Keeping you back from your life
You believe that there's nothing and there is no one
Who can make it right

 

There is hope for the helpless
Rest for the weary
And love for the broken heart
And there is grace and forgiveness
Mercy and healing
He'll meet you wherever you are
Cry out to Jesus
Cry out to Jesus

 

Look for this and you will see it as an underlying premise in so much that we sing or watch during this season, from Scrooge to the Grinch.  There is hope in Jesus.  Summing it up from one of my favorite Christmas hymns "the hopes and fears of all the years are met in Thee tonight."

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

 

Psalm 23 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

Psalm 23

The Good Shepherd

A Davidic psalm.

The Lord is my shepherd;
there is nothing I lack.
He lets me lie down in green pastures;
He leads me beside quiet waters.
He renews my life;
He leads me along the right paths[a]

for His name's sake.
Even when I go through the darkest valley,[b]
I fear no danger,
for You are with me;
Your rod and Your staff[c]—they comfort me.

You prepare a table before me
in the presence of my enemies;
You anoint my head with oil;
my cup overflows.
Only goodness and faithful love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will dwell in[d] the house of the Lord

as long as I live.

 

  

No comments: