Monday, October 6, 2008

Verse of the Day 10/6

Through the Bible - Isaiah 35-37, Philippians 4

Good morning,
Nine years ago today our family's lives were changed forever when our sons and two neighbor kids were in an accident on their way to church for youth group and Awana clubs. Jeff suffered the traumatic brain injury that has affected him and us every day since.

That morning I had read Hebrew 11, the Bibles' "Hall of Faith". Many things surrounding tragedies we would just as soon forget. But for some reason, God's grace perhaps, this passage has had the opposite effect on me. I read of the heroes, their lives, their struggles, hurts, deliverance, and especially their faith and I find comfort, strength, peace and hope in them. I return to this passage several times a year.

This year I'll read the chapter from The Message, the chapter begins:

Heb 11:1-2 The fundamental fact of existence is that this trust in God, this faith, is the firm foundation under everything that makes life worth living. It's our handle on what we can't see. The act of faith is what distinguished our ancestors, set them above the crowd.

Today's New Testament reading is from Philippians 4 where we'll go for today's verse, starting with "The Message" paraphrase:

Phil 4:6-7 Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.

and from the New King James Version:

Phil 4:6 Be anxious for nothing, but in everything by prayer and supplication, with thanksgiving, let your requests be made known to God; 7 and the peace of God, which surpasses all understanding, will guard your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus. NKJV

Today I want to look at how "the peace of God (something that Jeff has and has shared with Jean and I), which surpasses understanding, will guard your hearts".
The NKJV commentary states "Paul's choice of a military term implies that the mind is in a battle zone and needs to be protected by a military guard. Since the purpose of such a guard in a wartime situation is either to prevent a hostile invasion or to keep the inhabitants of the besieged city from escaping, the peace of God operates in the same way, to protect the mind from external corrupting influences and to keep the mind focused on God's truth."

Can you relate to that? When facing trials of various types, does your mind feel like it's in a battle zone, and you are losing the battle? Hold onto the firm foundation mentioned in Hebrews 11, and let the Holy Spirit come and "settle you down".

If you are not facing trials and struggles right now, perhaps it is a good time to shore up your faith to be prepared to face the "various trials" (James 1:2-3) that we will someday face. Put on the full armor of God that we recently looked at in Ephesians 6.

I'll close with the lyrics of the Matt Redman song that we sang in church this weekend. It brings tears to my eyes when I sing it, but like Hebrews 11 it helps guard my heart with the peace that passes understanding.

Blessed Be Your Name
by Matt Redman
- - -
Blessed Be Your Name
In the land that is plentiful
Where Your streams of abundance flow
Blessed be Your name

Blessed Be Your name
When I'm found in the desert place
Though I walk through the wilderness
Blessed Be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your name
Blessed be the name of the Lord
Blessed be Your glorious name

Blessed be Your name
When the sun's shining down on me
When the world's 'all as it should be'
Blessed be Your name

Blessed be Your name
On the road marked with suffering
Though there's pain in the offering
Blessed be Your name

Every blessing You pour out
I'll turn back to praise
When the darkness closes in, Lord
Still I will say

You give and take away
You give and take away
My heart will choose to say
Lord, blessed be Your name


In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net

Phil 4:1-10
My dear, dear friends! I love you so much. I do want the very best for you. You make me feel such joy, fill me with such pride. Don't waver. Stay on track, steady in God.

Pray About Everything

I urge Euodia and Syntyche to iron out their differences and make up. God doesn't want his children holding grudges.

And, oh, yes, Syzygus, since you're right there to help them work things out, do your best with them. These women worked for the Message hand in hand with Clement and me, and with the other veterans — worked as hard as any of us. Remember, their names are also in the book of life.

Celebrate God all day, every day. I mean, revel in him! Make it as clear as you can to all you meet that you're on their side, working with them and not against them. Help them see that the Master is about to arrive. He could show up any minute!

Don't fret or worry. Instead of worrying, pray. Let petitions and praises shape your worries into prayers, letting God know your concerns. Before you know it, a sense of God's wholeness, everything coming together for good, will come and settle you down. It's wonderful what happens when Christ displaces worry at the center of your life.

Summing it all up, friends, I'd say you'll do best by filling your minds and meditating on things true, noble, reputable, authentic, compelling, gracious — the best, not the worst; the beautiful, not the ugly; things to praise, not things to curse. Put into practice what you learned from me, what you heard and saw and realized. Do that, and God, who makes everything work together, will work you into his most excellent harmonies.

No comments: