Monday, March 16, 2009

Verse of the Day 3/16

Through the Bible - Deuteronomy 32-33, Luke 1:1-38
 
Good morning,
Over the weekend we considered that there is indeed more to this life.  But how is it that we come to that realization?  It is by the Holy Spirit working through the Word to change our hearts and minds "to see" what He would have us see.
 
If you are following the "read through the Bible " plan above, today you will move into the book of Luke.  We will "see" the gospel through the eyes of this doctor, a Greek and Gentile Christian.  He was the only known Gentile author of the New Testament.
 
Luke 10:23 Then He turned to His disciples and said privately, "Blessed are the eyes which see the things you see;  24 for I tell you that many prophets and kings have desired to see what you see, and have not seen it, and to hear what you hear, and have not heard it."    NKJV
Has Jesus opened your eyes?  Jesus told His disciples that they were blessed in being able to see the things that they did, that the Old Testament kings and prophets only hoped for and had longed to see through the ages.  How about you and me?   Do you consider yourself blessed to live at a time when Christ has revealed Himself to you and blessed you with so many tools, and ways that you can get to know Him better?  Think of the Bible teachers of the day, Piper, Sproul, MacArthur, the list can go on.  We have translations and commentaries at our fingertips on our computers and accessible for free over the internet.
We have great music.  We have ample opportunities to meet in Bible Study groups and small groups. 
 
But even these things can become "stuff" if they become the focus and not growing and living in Christ.
 
May our hearts desire be like that of the hymnwriter below, that everything false would disappear.
 
Open My Eyes, That I May See
 
Open my eyes, that I may see
Glimpses of truth Thou hast for me;
Place in my hands the wonderful key
That shall unclasp and set me free.
 
Refrain
Silently now I wait for Thee,
Ready my God, Thy will to see,
Open my eyes, illumine me,
Spirit divine!
 
Open my ears, that I may hear
Voices of truth Thou sendest clear;
And while the wave notes fall on my ear,
Everything false will disappear.
 
Refrain
 
Open my mouth, and let me bear,
Gladly the warm truth everywhere;
Open my heart and let me prepare
Love with Thy children thus to share.

 
In the coming weeks may your eyes be opened to see more of the "glimpses of truth" He has for us as we apply His Word to our lives.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Luke 10:21-25
 
Jesus Rejoices in the Spirit
(Matt 11:25-27)
 
21 In that hour Jesus rejoiced in the Spirit and said, "I thank You, Father, Lord of heaven and earth, that You have hidden these things from the wise and prudent and revealed them to babes. Even so, Father, for so it seemed good in Your sight.  22 All things have been delivered to Me by My Father, and no one knows who the Son is except the Father, and who the Father is except the Son, and the one to whom the Son wills to reveal Him."
 
23 Then He turned to His disciples and said privately, "Blessed are the eyes which see the things you see;  24 for I tell you that many prophets and kings have desired to see what you see, and have not seen it, and to hear what you hear, and have not heard it."    NKJV

No comments: