Saturday, March 7, 2009

Verse of the Day - weekend 3/7

Through the Bible - Deuteronomy 6-11, Mark 12:28-13:31
 
Good morning,
How many of you have been following the read through the Bible plan above?  Whether it's the Old or New Testaments or both, I would encourage you to give it a try.  Today's reading is one that brings both Testaments together.  In Deuteronomy 6 we read the "shema" which is the Hebrew word for "hear".  In the New Testament in Mark 12 we read the "Jesus Creed" about loving God and loving others.
 
For today's verse we'll go to Deuteronomy chapter 5 from yesterday's reading. 
Deut 5:1  And Moses called all Israel, and said to them: "Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your hearing today, that you may learn them and be careful to observe them.  NKJV

 It is a wonderful chapter which starts out with this call from Moses to "hear" what God has to say to them.  He then goes on to review the 10 commandments.  The people commit that they will hear and obey.  Then, God reiterates His love and His heart for them.
Deut 5:29 Oh, that they had such a heart in them that they would fear Me and always keep all My commandments, that it might be well with them and with their children forever!   NKJV

The call really isn't any different today, neither is God's heart for us.
 
God's threefold command is given to the people through Moses.  It is excellent advice for His followers of all ages for all the ages.  The NLT commentary states, "Listening is absorbing and accepting information about God.  Learning is understanding it's meanings and implications.  Obeying is putting into action all we have learned and understood.  All three parts are essential in a growing relationship with God."
 
Call it sanctification, consecration, devotion, whichever it is, following it will change you.
 
I'm reminded of the old hymn:
 
Take My Life And Let It Be (Hendon)
 
Take my life, and let it be consecrated, Lord, to Thee.
Take my moments and my days; let them flow in ceaseless praise.
Take my hands, and let them move at the impulse of Thy love.
Take my feet, and let them be swift and beautiful for Thee.
 
Take my voice, and let me sing always, only, for my King.
Take my lips, and let them be filled with messages from Thee.
Take my silver and my gold; not a mite would I withhold.
Take my intellect, and use every power as Thou shalt choose.
 
Take my will, and make it Thine; it shall be no longer mine.
Take my heart, it is Thine own; it shall be Thy royal throne.
Take my love, my Lord, I pour at Thy feet its treasure store.
Take myself, and I will be ever, only, all for Thee.

If you know it, sing it in your mind or from the heart.  May it be our attitude as we worship Him this weekend.
 
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
More tools available at: http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
 
Deut 5:1-8
 
5 And Moses called all Israel, and said to them: "Hear, O Israel, the statutes and judgments which I speak in your hearing today, that you may learn them and be careful to observe them. 2 The Lord our God made a covenant with us in Horeb. 3 The Lord did not make this covenant with our fathers, but with us, those who are here today, all of us who are alive. 4 The Lord talked with you face to face on the mountain from the midst of the fire. 5 I stood between the Lord and you at that time, to declare to you the word of the Lord; for you were afraid because of the fire, and you did not go up the mountain. He said:
 
6 'I am the Lord your God who brought you out of the land of Egypt, out of the house of bondage.
 
7 'You shall have no other gods before Me.    NKJV
and from Mark:
 
Mark 12:29 Jesus answered him, "The first of all the commandments is: 'Hear, O Israel, the Lord our God, the Lord is one.  30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart, with all your soul, with all your mind, and with all your strength.' This is the first commandment.  31 And the second, like it, is this: 'You shall love your neighbor as yourself.' There is no other commandment greater than these."    NKJV

No comments: