Saturday, August 1, 2009

Verse of the Day 8/1

Through the Bible - Psalms 68-72, Romans 5
 
Good morning,
For this weekend's verse we'll go to Psalm 119 to a passage that ties in well with the verses that we've considered this week.
 
Ps 119:37 Turn my eyes from worthless things,
and give me life through your word.
38 Reassure me of your promise,
made to those who fear you.  NLT

Turn my eyes from worthless things; think about that.  What would qualitfy as "worthless things", things that have no lasting or redeeming value in our lives?
 
The list can be seemingly endless from any number of possessions acquired as consumers that end up consuming us, to pursuit of fame and glory; things that hurt others (especially those closest to us) and God; to believing lies that we've listened to and acted upon that have taken us down the wrong path towards destruction of our lives and damaging others around us.  All this to satisy temporary desires while forsaking that which will last.
 
While flying back from California yesterday I had my headphones on and was listening to Third Day, their "Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus Medley" was a fitting song to tie the thoughts of the week together.  Take a look.
 
Turn Eyes Upon Jesus - Medley  - Third Day
 
You said all that follow You may find
Comfort and pain, blessings in hard times
Were I to leave, where else would I go?
The words of life and of truth You hold

All I want is love
I confess to this
I will take it, Lord
All you have to give

Turn your eyes upon Jesus
Look full in His wonderful face
And the things of Earth
Will grow strangely dim
In the light of His glory and grace

And You give yourself away
And you give yourself away
And you give
And you give
And you give yourself away

All I want is love
And I confess to this
I will take it, Lord
All You have to give
All You have to give
All You have
All You have to give

Your love, oh Lord
Reaches to the heavens
Your faithfulness stretches to the sky
And YOur righteousness is like the mighty mountains
Your justice flows like the ocean's tides
And I wil lift my voice
To woship You, my king

You can watch the video and sing along in worship on Youtube at : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OD6Z1-e7UgU
 
Turn your eyes from worthless things and instead be devoted to the One who has given so much to us.
 
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
More tools available at: http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Ps 119:33-41
 
33 Teach me, O Lord, the way of Your statutes,
And I shall keep it to the end.
34 Give me understanding, and I shall keep Your law;
Indeed, I shall observe it with my whole heart.
35 Make me walk in the path of Your commandments,
For I delight in it.
36 Incline my heart to Your testimonies,
And not to covetousness.
37 Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things,
And revive me in Your way.
38 Establish Your word to Your servant,
Who is devoted to fearing You.

39 Turn away my reproach which I dread,
For Your judgments are good.
40 Behold, I long for Your precepts;
Revive me in Your righteousness.  
NKJV

No comments: