Saturday, August 8, 2009

Verse of the Day - Weekend 8/8

Through the Bible - Psalms 88-93,  Romans 11
 
Good morning,
While we've been following Romans in the read through the Bible plan and considering many verses from Romans, the Old testament reading have been from Pslams.
Today's verses come from Psalm 86 which tie in well with what we've been looking at in Romans and Psalm 51 about God "creating" in us a clean heart.
 
Ps 86:11 Teach me your ways, O Lord,
that I may live according to your truth!
Grant me purity of heart,
so that I may honor you.
12 With all my heart I will praise you, O Lord my God.
I will give glory to your name forever,  NLT

Or from the NKJV
Ps 86:11 Teach me Your way, O Lord;
I will walk in Your truth;
Unite my heart to fear Your name.
12 I will praise You, O Lord my God, with all my heart,
And I will glorify Your name forevermore.   NKJV

Consider what a pure heart and a united heart mean.  Undivided, true, faithful, and steadfast are words that come to mind.  Can you think of others that would apply to yourself and your heart? 
 
Reading these words I was reminded of the praise chorus:
 
 "It is the Cry of My Heart to Follow You".
 
1-

 (It is the cry of my heart to follow you.

 It is the cry of my heart to be close to you

 It is the cry of my heart to follow all of the days of my heart (2x)

2-

 Teach me your holy ways oh Lord.

 So I can walk in your truth.

 Teach me your holy ways, oh Lord and make me wholly devoted to you.

3-

 (It is the cry of my heart to follow you.

 It is the cry of my heart to be close to you

 It is the cry of my heart to follow all of the days of my heart (2x)

4-

 Open my eyes so I can see the wonderful things that you do.

 Open my heart more and more and make it wholly devoted to you.

5-

 It is the cry of my heart to follow you.

 It is the cry of my heart to be close to you.

 It is the cry of my heart to follow

 All the days of my life.

 All the days of my life.

 All the days of my life.

 
Praising God with "all of our hearts" means following, appreciating, and honoring Him in living our lives for Him "all of the days" of our lives.  This involvles not only our worship on the weekend, but in our work, our relationships, in our finances, and the desires of our hearts.
 
Read the psalm and sing this chorus in preparation for worship and as an act of praise this weekend.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Ps 86:1-87:1
86 1 Bend down, O Lord, and hear my prayer;answer me, for I need your help.2 Protect me, for I am devoted to you.Save me, for I serve you and trust you.You are my God.3 Be merciful to me, O Lord,for I am calling on you constantly.4 Give me happiness, O Lord,for I give myself to you.5 O Lord, you are so good, so ready to forgive,so full of unfailing love for all who ask for your help.6 Listen closely to my prayer, O Lord;hear my urgent cry.7 I will call to you whenever I'm in trouble,and you will answer me.
8 No pagan god is like you, O Lord.None can do what you do!9 All the nations you madewill come and bow before you, Lord;they will praise your holy name.10 For you are great and perform wonderful deeds.You alone are God.
11 Teach me your ways, O Lord,that I may live according to your truth!Grant me purity of heart,so that I may honor you.12 With all my heart I will praise you, O Lord my God.I will give glory to your name forever,13 for your love for me is very great.You have rescued me from the depths of death.
14 O God, insolent people rise up against me;a violent gang is trying to kill me.You mean nothing to them.15 But you, O Lord,are a God of compassion and mercy,slow to get angryand filled with unfailing love and faithfulness.16 Look down and have mercy on me.Give your strength to your servant;save me, the son of your servant.17 Send me a sign of your favor.Then those who hate me will be put to shame,for you, O Lord, help and comfort me.   NLT

No comments: