Sunday, November 1, 2009

Verse of the Day - weekend 11/1

Through the Bible - Jerremiah 31-36, Philemon - Hebrews 1
 
Good morning,
Today is All Saints Day, Reformation Sunday, and it is a time when we look back at all who have gone before us in the faith.
 
Last weekend at a conference I heard a new praise chorus that seemed fitting for today.
It is written by Hope Newman Kemp and is titlesd Hallelujuh, Highest Praises.  The stanza that caught my attention was the following:
 
Hallelujay,highest praises,
To the Godhead three in one,
Unrelenting in His goodness,
Never failing in His love.
 
For today's verse we''ll go to Luke 1 where we hear Mary giving highest praise.
 
Luke 1:46 And Mary said:
"My soul magnifies the Lord,
47 And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.  NKJV

The NKJV says magnifies, whereas the NIV says "glorifies", and the NAS says "exalts".  These three together capture the meaning of praise, "to declare to be great" and "to celebrate".
 
Read through the rest of the "Song of Mary" in the passage below.  It speaks of God's mercy, faithfulness, power and holiness.  Through the ages He  overturns the expectations of the worldly and shown His mercy and grace to the powerless, for His glory, His highest praise.
 
The word "unrelenting" in the praise chorus brought me back to Psalm 23:6.  Some translations say "will follow me", but the word can also,possibly better be translated "pursue" as we see in the NLT.
Ps 23:6 Surely your goodness and unfailing love will pursue me
all the days of my life,
and I will live in the house of the Lord
forever.  NLT

As you worship this weekend, consider what this "unrelenting pursuit" means to you.
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Luke 1:46-56
The Song of Mary
46 And Mary said:
"My soul magnifies the Lord, 47 And my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior.
48 For He has regarded the lowly state of His maidservant;For behold, henceforth all generations will call me blessed. 49 For He who is mighty has done great things for me,And holy is His name. 50 And His mercy is on those who fear HimFrom generation to generation. 51 He has shown strength with His arm;He has scattered the proud in the imagination of their hearts. 52 He has put down the mighty from their thrones,And exalted the lowly. 53 He has filled the hungry with good things,And the rich He has sent away empty. 54 He has helped His servant Israel,In remembrance of His mercy, 55 As He spoke to our fathers,To Abraham and to his seed forever."
NKJV

No comments: