Sunday, April 18, 2010

Verse of the Day - weekend 4/18

Through the Bible - 1 Samuel 22-26, Luke 17:1- 18:14
 
Good morning,
As we've been going through the gospels we've considered many parables and will continue to do so in the coming months.  For this weekend's verse we'll go to Matthew where we see that in speaking in parables Jesus is actually fulfilling prophecies.
 
Matt 13:34 All these things Jesus spoke to the multitude in parables; and without a parable He did not speak to them, 35 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying:
 
"I will open My mouth in parables;
I will utter things kept secret from the foundation of the world."   
NKJV

These parables Jesus uses common, mundane, everyday experiences to reveal profound truths that go beyond our common reasoning.  Someone has said that a parable is an "earthly story with a heavenly message."
 
Scott Anderson writes, "parables withdraw the light from the rebellious at heart who hate the truth, and give light to those who believe and love the truth.......... The parables of Jesus are actually designed to help us see whether illuminating grace is  on the move in our lives...... Parables function as little tests of faith, beckoning us to see and believe and obey the truth of the Storyteller."
 
The parables should stir us to as questions such as: am I open to His teaching?  Am I happy to follow His instructions?  Am I really interested in His truth?  Will I allow it to have an impact on my life, my actions? Do I have the eyes that want to see and ears that want to hear His words of life?  Am I embracing Christ as the ultimate good of the gospel today?  These are questions that should be going through our minds as we read the Bible every day, perhaps especially in the parables.
As we go through the gospels and read the parables of Jesus, may we slow down and consider some of these questions.
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Matt 13:34-36
 
Prophecy and the Parables
 
34 All these things Jesus spoke to the multitude in parables; and without a parable He did not speak to them, 35 that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying:
 
"I will open My mouth in parables;
I will utter things kept secret from the foundation of the world."   
NKJV

No comments: