Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Verse of the Day 1/18

 Luke 18:13-14 (ESV) But the tax collector, standing far off, would not even lift up his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me, a sinner!' 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified, rather than the other. For everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, but the one who humbles himself will be exalted."  
 

The men's small group that I'm in has been going (slowly) through the book of Luke.  Our next study will be in Luke 18 where we find today's verse which is an excellent one to consider while we are on the subject of righteousness or being right with God.  The passage contrasts the prayer of the pharisee and the tax collector, the "sinner".  Read the passage.  The pharisee pridefully spouts off the things that he has done for God thinking that doing those things make him worthy,  but notice that Luke says he is praying "with himself: (NKJV).  His prayer goes no higher than the ceiling or even the top of his head.

 

The tax collector realizes that he has nothing of his own to bring, he is depending on God's mercy to be saved, to be made righteous.

 

I think that if we were to take a look at our prayers and the condition of our hearts as we pray, that all too often there is a little or a lot of the pharisee in us.  When we come to the Lord may we be like the tax collector, and come to him as "sinners".  The old hymn "Just as I Am" came to mind.  Read a couple of the stanzas, does it reflect the attitude of your heart in approaching Christ today?

 

Just as I am, without one plea,
but that thy blood was shed for me,
and that thou bidst me come to thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come. 

Just as I am, thou wilt receive,
wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve;
because thy promise I believe,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come.

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Luke 18:9-14  New King James Version (NKJV) The Parable of the Pharisee and the Tax Collector

   9 Also He spoke this parable to some who trusted in themselves that they were righteous, and despised others: 10 "Two men went up to the temple to pray, one a Pharisee and the other a tax collector. 11 The Pharisee stood and prayed thus with himself, 'God, I thank You that I am not like other men—extortioners, unjust, adulterers, or even as this tax collector. 12 I fast twice a week; I give tithes of all that I possess.' 13 And the tax collector, standing afar off, would not so much as raise his eyes to heaven, but beat his breast, saying, 'God, be merciful to me a sinner!' 14 I tell you, this man went down to his house justified rather than the other; for everyone who exalts himself will be humbled, and he who humbles himself will be exalted."

No comments: