Thursday, January 26, 2012

Verse of the Day 1/26

Verse of the Day 1/26
 
2 Corinthians 5:11 (HCSB) Therefore, because we know the fear of the Lord, we seek to persuade people. We are completely open before God, and I hope we are completely open to your consciences as well.
 
There has been somewhat of a scandal in the news recently about a political candidate that was said to have asked his wife to agree to an "open marriage" an arrangement that would have permitted or condoned unfaithfulness.
 
Today's verse in the HCSB describes a different kind of open relationship, it is one of faithfulness and honesty before and by God.  It is a relationship of surrendering of the will to serve God and others.  It involves being open and obedient to the Spirit's leading.  Doing so will lead to a clear conscience while allowing His grace to show through, His "fruit" to ripen in our lives.
 
Moody's "Today in the Word" devotional ended with this prayer that John Stott prayed every morning: "Father I pray that I may live this day in Your presence and please You more and more. Lord Jesus I pray that this day I may take up my cross and follow You. Holy Spirit, I pray that this day You will . . . cause Your fruit to ripen in my life." 

 Reading the words about living this day in His presence brought to mind the old, and hopefully, familiar hymn "I Surrender All".
 

All to Jesus, I surrender;
All to Him I freely give;
I will ever love and trust Him,
In His presence daily live.

Refrain

I surrender all, I surrender all,
All to Thee, my blessèd Savior,
I surrender all.

 

All to Jesus, I surrender;
Make me, Savior, wholly Thine;
Let me feel the Holy Spirit,
Truly know that Thou art mine.

 

Do you have or are you willing to commit to such and open relationship with God?  If so, pray, perhaps make it a practice to pray John Stott's prayer or a similar one of your own creation.

 

2 Corinthians 5:15 (HCSB) And He died for all so that those who live should no longer live for themselves, but for the One who died for them and was raised.

 

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

2 Corinthians 5:11-15  Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

 11 Therefore, because we know the fear of the Lord, we seek to persuade people. We are completely open before God, and I hope we are completely open to your consciences as well. 12 We are not commending ourselves to you again, but giving you an opportunity to be proud of us, so that you may have a reply for those who take pride in the outward appearance[a] rather than in the heart. 13 For if we are out of our mind, it is for God; if we have a sound mind, it is for you. 14 For Christ's love compels[b] us, since we have reached this conclusion: If One died for all, then all died. 15 And He died for all so that those who live should no longer live for themselves, but for the One who died for them and was raised.

No comments: