Friday, April 25, 2014

Verse of the Day 4/25

Verse of the Day 4/25
 
Psalm 31:2-3  Bow down Your ear to me, deliver me speedily! Be my Rock of refuge, a strong Fortress to save me!
Yes, You are my Rock and my Fortress; therefore for Your name's sake lead me and guide me.   Amplified Bible (AMP)
 
Yesterday I read the following quote in Billy Graham's "Day by Day" devotional.  "Historians will probably call our era "the age of anxiety." Anxiety is the natural result when our hopes are centered in anything short of God and His will for us. When we make anything else our goal, frustration and defeat are inevitable. Though we have less to worry about than previous generations, we have more worry. Though we have it easier than our forefathers, we have more uneasiness. Though we have less real cause for anxiety than our predecessors, we are inwardly more anxious. Calloused hands were the badge of the pioneer, but a furrowed brow is the insignia of modern man." 
 
Would you agree with him that our era could easily be called "the age of anxiety"?  We are anxious about, worry about things in just about every aspect of our lives.  We don't need anti aging creams to get rid of our "furrowed brow", we need the peace of God in our lives.  Only He can bring us the peace we need to replace our anxiety.
 
In today's verse David calls on God to "incline His ear" or as the Amplified Bible states "bow down your ear to me".  I don't know if it is part of growing older and my hearing isn't what it used to be, but at times, especially in a noisy room I will have to bend over, bow my head and turn my ear closer to the person who is talking in order to understand them.  That is the picture that I get from David here.  Amid all of the tumult, the noise, he wants to be sure that God is hearing his prayer, his prayer fro relief from the anxiety.  In the chapter he goes on to recall the past blessings, answers to previous prayers for relief and deliverance.
 
If we are full of anxiety today, may we stop, call upon Him, ask Him to "bow His ear" to me, with the attitude of David:
 
15 
Psalm 31:14-15 But I trust in you, O Lord;    I say, "You are my God."
My times are in your hand;  English Standard Version (ESV)

 
15 
Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com
 

Psalm 31:2-5

The Message (MSG)

A David Psalm

31 1-2 I run to you, God; I run for dear life.
    Don't let me down!
    Take me seriously this time!
Get down on my level and listen,
    and please—no procrastination!
Your granite cave a hiding place,
    your high cliff aerie a place of safety.
3-5 You're my cave to hide in,
    my cliff to climb.
Be my safe leader,
    be my true mountain guide.
Free me from hidden traps;
    I want to hide in you.
I've put my life in your hands.
    You won't drop me,
    you'll never let me down.

No comments: