Tuesday, July 19, 2016

Verse of the Day 7/19

Verse of the Day 7/19

Hebrews 13:5-6 Keep your life free from love of money, and be content with what you have, for he has said, "I will never leave you nor forsake you." So we can confidently say,

"The Lord is my helper;
    I will not fear;
what can man do to me?" English Standard Version (ESV)

As I read these verses today in my morning devotions, the old hymn Great is Thy Faithfulness came to mind.  Perhaps it was because our Pastor Jarm referenced Lamentations in his sermon on Sunday, but in any case it was in my mind.  A couple of lines stood out "all I have needed Thy hand hath  provided" and "strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow", which allows you, enables  you to have "a peace  that endureth".

Burk Parsons writes, " True contentment is not circumstantial, it is relational. It is not based on what happens to us; rather, it is based on who has taken hold of us—the One who dwells within us. If our contentment is based merely on what we have, we will always desire more, but when it is based on who we are in Christ, we will first and foremost desire to know Him more. For if we are to find contentment in all things, we must seek contentment in the only One who can fulfill all our desires—Jesus Christ."

The love of money and the rat race that evolves from it will not bring contentment, joy or lasting peace.  As Parsons points out, those things are relational, we get them from the Lord, who is our helper,  He has "taken hold of us" He is there when we need Him with what we need, in the time of need. "This I recall to mind, therefore I have hope"  Lamentations 3:21

Great is thy faithfulness
Oh God my father
There is no shadow of turning with thee
Thou changest not
Thy compassions they fail not
As thou hast been
Thou forever will be
Summer and Winter
Springtime and harvest
Sun, moon and stars in their courses above
Join in all nature in manifold witness
To thy great faithfulness
Mercy and love
Great is Thy faithfulness
Great is Thy faithfulness
Morning by morning new mercies I see
All I have needed Thy hand hath provided
Great is Thy faithfulness
Lord unto me
(So Great)
Pardon for sin and a peace that endureth
Thy own dear presence to cheer and to guide
Your strength for today and bright hope for tomorrow
Blessings all mine with ten thousand aside

Lamentations 3:21-23New King James Version (NKJV)

21 This I recall to my mind,
Therefore I have hope.

22 Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed,
Because His compassions fail not.
23 They are new every morning;
Great is Your faithfulness.


--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Hebrews 13:5-6The Message (MSG)

5-6 Don't be obsessed with getting more material things. Be relaxed with what you have. Since God assured us, "I'll never let you down, never walk off and leave you," we can boldly quote,

God is there, ready to help;
I'm fearless no matter what.
Who or what can get to me?

  

No comments: