Thursday, July 21, 2016

Verse of the Day 7/21

Psalm 31:2-3Incline your ear to me;

    rescue me speedily!
Be a rock of refuge for me,
    a strong fortress to save me!

For you are my rock and my fortress;
    and for your name's sake you lead me and guide me;   English Standard Version (ESV)

I work for a textile manufacturer and spend quite a bit of time at the plant.  The manufacturing process can be quite noisy and hearing protection is required in many areas of the plant.  You cannot hear normal conversations due to the noise and the ear plugs.  If you do have to talk to someone you must raise your voice and the other person has to be paying attention.  Last week I was there when someone was having a conversation with a co-worker.  The one who was listening leaned in with his ear close to the persons mouth to make sure that he could best hear what was being said.

That's pretty much how it is with us, in the din of our busy lives, God will lean in, draw near to us when we call on Him, when we have something important to tell Him. I like the way The Message puts it below, "get down on my level and listen".  How many times have you been on the listening end with a toddler.  Quite often, especially if they are shy, they will not speak loudly, not enough to easily be heard over the commotion going on around them.  In order to hear them you will automatically bend down to get down to their level, often leaning in to hear what they say.  It is a picture of what is going on hear between David and God the Father.

He came down to my level
When I couldn't get up to His
With a strong arm He lifted me up
To show me what livin' is

He'll come down to your level
If you'll open up the door
He wants to make your life worth livin'
That's what He came down for   (He'll Come Down to Your Level - Gaither Vocal Band)

 

Think about that in the context of the verse.  Our rock, our fortress, our deliverer is ready to stoop down and lean into us to hear what is in our hearts and on our minds.   He'll come down to your level.  "He wants to make your life worth livin', that's what He came down for.  Will you open up that door to your heart and have a conversation with Him?


--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 31:2-5The Message (MSG)

A David Psalm

31 1-2 I run to you, God; I run for dear life.
    Don't let me down!
    Take me seriously this time!
Get down on my level and listen,
    and please—no procrastination!
Your granite cave a hiding place,
    your high cliff aerie a place of safety.

3-5 You're my cave to hide in,
    my cliff to climb.
Be my safe leader,
    be my true mountain guide.
Free me from hidden traps;
    I want to hide in you.
I've put my life in your hands.
    You won't drop me,
    you'll never let me down.

  

No comments: