Sunday, February 12, 2017

Verse of the Day 2/12

Verse of the Day 2/12

Psalm 50:14-15  Offer to God a sacrifice of thanksgiving,

    and perform your vows to the Most High,
15 and call upon me in the day of trouble;
    I will deliver you, and you shall glorify me."  English Standard Version (ESV)

  

Many, if not most of us, will be going to church today sing songs of praise and worship our Lord and Savior.  Offering praise to God is the proper thing to do.  We should be thankful for all that we have in Him and for all that He has done to us.  As The Message states "I don't find fault with your acts of worship" but He does find fault with the attitude of our hearts.   Today's verses bring a reminder that this sacrifice of praise goes beyond thanking Him for our blessings it also involves coming Him with our troubles and in times of trouble.

All too often, we can become self confident and  when troubles and challenges come along we don't bring them to God.  We have an attitude of "I got this", no need to worry God about it.  In reality this robs God of His glory. Pastor John Piper writes, " We do not glorify God by providing his needs, but by praying that he would provide ours — and trusting him to answer.....Here we are at the heart of the good news of Christian Hedonism. God's insistence that we ask him to give us help so that he gets glory (Psalm 50:15) forces on us the startling fact that we must beware of serving God and take special care to let him serve us, lest we rob him of his glory."

We bring the sacrifice of praise
Into the house of the Lord.
We bring the sacrifice of praise
Into the house of the Lord.

And we offer up to You
The sacrifices of thanksgiving;
And we offer up to You
The sacrifices of joy.

May we offer the sacrifice of praise to Him today.  May part of that include calling upon Him with our troubles, seek His help, for His glory and we'll have more to praise Him for through the week and as we go to worship next Sunday.

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 50:10-15The Message (MSG)

7-15 "Are you listening, dear people? I'm getting ready to speak;
    Israel, I'm about ready to bring you to trial.
This is God, your God,
    speaking to you.
I don't find fault with your acts of worship,
    the frequent burnt sacrifices you offer.
But why should I want your blue-ribbon bull,
    or more and more goats from your herds?
Every creature in the forest is mine,
    the wild animals on all the mountains.
I know every mountain bird by name;
    the scampering field mice are my friends.
If I get hungry, do you think I'd tell you?
    All creation and its bounty are mine.
Do you think I feast on venison?
    or drink draughts of goats' blood?
Spread for me a banquet of praise,
    serve High God a feast of kept promises,
And call for help when you're in trouble—
    I'll help you, and you'll honor me."

  

No comments: