Thursday, February 23, 2017

Verse of the Day 2/23

 
Verse  of the Day 2/23
 
Psalm 61:1-3   Hear my cry, O God,
    listen to my prayer;
from the end of the earth I call to you
    when my heart is faint.
Lead me to the rock
    that is higher than I,
for you have been my refuge,
    a strong tower against the enemy.   English Standard Version (ESV)
 
In yesterday's post we considered Elijah and how he prayed "fervently" to God and God responded.  David is someone who prayed fervently, he lifted the cries of his heart, his soul to God.  He embodied the attitude of James who called us to pray through suffering, joy and sickness.   I read these verses yesterday as they came up in the course of my daily reading in the Psalms.  They revealed the heart of David and should make us aware that we call on the same God, no matter where we may be, at home or  "from the end of the earth" He hears our prayers.
 
I like the reference to the "strong  tower" in verse three.  Solomon wrote of the "righteous" running to the tower and they are safe.  I'm reminded also of Psalm 46 and God being a mighty fortress as Martin Luther referenced as a "bulwark never failing".  I had posted this quote from Charles Spurgeon to "strong tower" in my eBible :" All the power, all the grace, all the blessings, all the mercies, all the comforts, all the things we have, flow to us from the well-head, through the covenant. If there were no covenant, then we should fail indeed; for all grace proceeds from it, as light and heat from the sun. No angels ascend or descend, save upon that ladder which Jacob saw, at the top of which stood a covenant God. Christian, it may be that the archers have sorely grieved you, and shot at you, and wounded you, but still your bow abides in strength; be sure, then, to ascribe all the glory to Jacob's God."
 
Jacob is the one who wrestled with God and prevailed (Genesis 32:28).  Our fervent prayers may be our "wrestling".  May our attitude be that of Jacob as he said "I will not  let you go unless you bless me".  Our goal our aim should be to keep calling, go to the "Rock", to our fortress, our refuge, to our strong tower where we may find safety, comfort and grace.
 
A mighty fortress is our God, 
a bulwark never failing; 
our helper he amid the flood 
of mortal ills prevailing. 
For still our ancient foe 
doth seek to work us woe; 
his craft and power are great, 
and armed with cruel hate, 
on earth is not his equal. 

Did we in our own strength confide, 
our striving would be losing, 
were not the right man on our side, 
the man of God's own choosing. 
Dost ask who that may be? 
Christ Jesus, it is he; 
Lord Sabaoth, his name, 
from age to age the same, 
and he must win the battle. 
 
Let us not rely or trust in our own strength, but let it rest in God.  It is He who must win our battles.
 
 
Blessings,
 
Mike
 
Psalm 61:1-5The Message (MSG)
A David Psalm
61 1-2 God, listen to me shout,
    bend an ear to my prayer.
When I'm far from anywhere,
    down to my last gasp,
I call out, "Guide me
    up High Rock Mountain!"
3-5 You've always given me breathing room,
    a place to get away from it all,
A lifetime pass to your safe-house,
    an open invitation as your guest.
You've always taken me seriously, God,
    made me welcome among those who know and love you.
 

 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: