Wednesday, June 13, 2018

Verse of the Day 6/13

 
Verse of the Day 6/13
 
Psalm 119:173-174   May Your hand be ready to help me,
for I have chosen Your precepts.
174 I long for Your salvation, Lord,
and Your instruction is my delight. 
 Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
 
Our men's Bible study group recently finished our study in Psalm 119, the longest chapter in the Bible, written by King David, centered and focused on God's Word, His "precepts".  In the final section of eight verses he calls out  to God in verse 169 "let  my cry come before you."  He is arguably the most powerful king around at that time yet, he realizes his position before God, that of being dependent on Him.  As a king, he realizes the importance of how a servant would approach the king, submitting to them and coming humbly before him.  The king has the choice on whether to grant access or not.  The picture comes to mind of how Queen Esther had to approach the king in Esther 4.  The king heard her request and the nation was saved, but that is another story.
 
In today's verses David prays "may your hand be ready to help me".   In today's society "independence" is heralded.  People are proud of and boast of their independence.  The Christian is to be different, he is to acknowledge who is in control and submit to God's authority and let Him guide and direct our steps.  His hand being ready points forward to the New Testament when Jesus walked on the water and called Peter out of the boat.  He began to walk but the distraction of the wind and waves caused him to lose focus and he began to sink.  
 

Matthew 14:30-31   But when he saw the wind,[a] he was afraid, and beginning to sink he cried out, "Lord, save me." 31 Jesus immediately reached out his hand and took hold of him, saying to him, "O you of little faith, why did you doubt?"  English Standard Version (ESV)

 
Spending time in God's Word and in prayer on a daily basis, coming before Him humbly, and being ready to do His will, following His "precepts", puts us in a position to call out to Him knowing that He is ready to help, and if needed, "carry us" as we considered yesterday.  Read the passage below from The Message.  May the Lord "invigorate your soul" today.
 
 
Blessing,
 
Mike
 

Psalm 119:173-176 The Message (MSG)

169-176 Let my cry come right into your presence, God;
    provide me with the insight that comes only from your Word.
Give my request your personal attention,
    rescue me on the terms of your promise.
Let praise cascade off my lips;
    after all, you've taught me the truth about life!
And let your promises ring from my tongue;
    every order you've given is right.
Put your hand out and steady me
    since I've chosen to live by your counsel.
I'm homesick, God, for your salvation;
    I love it when you show yourself!
Invigorate my soul so I can praise you well,
    use your decrees to put iron in my soul.
And should I wander off like a lost sheep—seek me!
    I'll recognize the sound of your voice.
 

 Follow the verse of the day at mikesvotd.blogspot.com

No comments: