Sunday, September 9, 2018

Verse off the Day 9/9

Verse of the Day 9/9

Psalm 27:3-4 Though an army encamp against me,

    my heart shall not fear;
though war arise against me,
    yet I will be confident.

One thing have I asked of the Lord,
    that will I seek after:
that I may dwell in the house of the Lord
    all the days of my life,
to gaze upon the beauty of the Lord
    and to inquire in his temple.    English Standard Version (ESV)

In Friday's post I closed with Isaiah 41:13-14 where God is quoted "Fear not, for I am the one who helps you... your Redeemer, the Holy One of Israel".  That morning, my daily reading through the Psalms brought me to Psalm 27 where we read find today's verses.  David took those feelings to heart, he knew what it was like to have an enemy "camped out" around him and against him and he knew what it was like to experience God's deliverance and it gave him confidence in the here and now and confidence in the future.

Fear, if we cave into it and let it run its course can be devastating, demoralizing, and debilitating.   Throughout the Bible, God's Word tells us not to fear, but to trust.  I'm reminded of the song that can be heard on Christian radio, "Fear is a Liar" by Zach Williams.

When he told you were troubled
You'll forever be alone
When he told you you should run away
You'll never find a home
When he told you you were dirty
And you should be ashamed
When he told you you could be the one
That grace could never change
Fear he is a liar
He will take your breath
Stop you in your steps
Fear he is a liar
He will rob your rest
Steal your happiness
Cast your fear in the fire
'Cause fear he is a liar

Fear tells us many things, but as the song says, as God's Word says of Satan, they are liars.  God's Word here and elsewhere tells us to seek Him, "wait on Him", go to His Word and in prayer with the confidence that He is with us, He will deliver us and that beyond these circumstances and into eternity, we will dwell with Him forever.

Psalm 27:13-14 English Standard Version (ESV)

13 I believe that I shall look upon the goodness of the Lord
    in the land of the living!
14 Wait for the Lord;
    be strong, and let your heart take courage;
    wait for the Lord!

--   In Christ,  Mike    Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com  Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins,  in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV    

Psalm 27:1-4 The Message (MSG)

A David Psalm

27 Light, space, zest—
    that's God!
So, with him on my side I'm fearless,
    afraid of no one and nothing.

    When vandal hordes ride down
    ready to eat me alive,
Those bullies and toughs
    fall flat on their faces.

When besieged,
    I'm calm as a baby.
When all hell breaks loose,
    I'm collected and cool.

I'm asking God for one thing,
    only one thing:
To live with him in his house
    my whole life long.
I'll contemplate his beauty;
    I'll study at his feet.

No comments: