Sunday, September 25, 2022

Verse of the Day 9/26

Verse of the Day 9/26

Psalm 139:23-24 English Standard Version




23 Search me, O God, and know my heart!
    Try me and know my thoughts![a]
24 And see if there be any grievous way in me,
    and lead me in the way everlasting!



Today's verses came up in my daily reading in the Psalms.. The verses are familiar, songs come to mind when you read the beginning line of the verses. As always, it is important to look at the context and in this case the complete Psalm which begins with "O'Lord, you have searched me and known me."  To me, it seems that David, in closing this psalm acknowledges the fact that God has searched him, searches his heart and David's call is that He will continue to do so, continue to lead him all the days of his life.  It is a realization of God's grace, past present and future grace.

In the psalm David acknowleges God as Lord, Creator, who formed him, knows him intimately inside and out and has a design planned for his life.  So it should be with us.

The philosopher Socrates said, "An unexamined life is not worth living." If a common philosopher could think that, how much more we Christians ought to listen to the Holy Spirit when He says, "Examine yourself." An unexamined Christian lies like an unattended garden. Let your garden go unattended for a few months, and you will not have roses and tomatoes but weeds. An unexamined Christian life is like an unkempt house. Lock your house up as tight as you will and leave it long enough, and when you come back you will not believe the dirt that got in from somewhere. An unexamined Christian is like an untaught child. A child that is not taught will be a little savage. It takes examination, teaching, instruction, discipline, caring, tending, weeding and cultivating to keep the life right. Rut, Rot or Revival: The Condition of the Church,

By asking God to "search him" David shows his heart, his desire to follow God, which means that he realizes that God must do the leading in his life. When was the last time that we asked God to search our hearts?

  1. Search me, O God, and know my heart today,
    Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts, I pray;
    See if there be some wicked way in me;
    Cleanse me from every sin, and set me free.
  2. I praise Thee, Lord, for cleansing me from sin;
    Fulfill Thy word and make me pure within;
    Fill me with fire, where once I burned with shame;
    Grant my desire to magnify Thy name.
  3. Lord, take my life, and make it wholly Thine;
    Fill my poor heart with Thy great love divine;
    Take all my will, my passion, self and pride;
    I now surrender, Lord, in me abide.
  4. O Holy Ghost, revival comes from Thee;
    Send a revival, start the work in me;
    Thy Word declares Thou wilt supply our need;
    For blessings now, O Lord, I humbly plead.   (Search Me O God - James Orr)

Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Psalm 139:17-24
English Standard Version

17 How precious to me are your thoughts, O God!
    How vast is the sum of them!
18 If I would count them, they are more than the sand.
    I awake, and I am still with you.

19 Oh that you would slay the wicked, O God!
    O men of blood, depart from me!
20 They speak against you with malicious intent;
    your enemies take your name in vain.[a]
21 Do I not hate those who hate you, O Lord?
    And do I not loathe those who rise up against you?
22 I hate them with complete hatred;
    I count them my enemies.

23 Search me, O God, and know my heart!
    Try me and know my thoughts!

24 And see if there be any grievous way in me,
    and lead me in the way everlasting!


No comments: