Tuesday, November 1, 2022

Verse of the Day 11/1

Verse of the Day 11/1


Hebrews 4:16
English Standard Version



16 Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.

When you read this passage in Hebrews 4, there are several things that can and should catch or draw your attention.  One of them, as we mentioned yesterday is the importance of the Word which is "sharper than a two edged sword" (Heb. 4:12), it cuts both ways and accomplishes 'God's purposes both ways.

When you step back and consider the whole chapter, while not menitioning "perseverence" specifically, that is what we see pictured.  It is illustrated three times in chapter 4 with the words "let us".  The first one is "let us fear", it is about honoring and respecting 'God for who He is.  Then we have "let us strive".  Our perseverence is not passive, we are to actively pursuing God, growing that relationship, learning to love God more.  The thrid is"let us draw near" (v.16), it is about seeking Him, calling, crying out to God, finding rest in Him even when the world seems to be crashing down around us.

We do this because Jesus is our great High Priest, interceding for us and will bring mercy and grace to help in our times of need.

I'll close with another Fanny Crosby hymn.

  1. All the way my Savior leads me,
    What have I to ask beside?
    Can I doubt His tender mercy,
    Who through life has been my Guide?
    Heav'nly peace, divinest comfort,
    Here by faith in Him to dwell!
    For I know, whate'er befall me,
    Jesus doeth all things well;
    For I know, whate'er befall me,
    Jesus doeth all things well.
  2. All the way my Savior leads me,
    Cheers each winding path I tread,
    Gives me grace for every trial,
    Feeds me with the living Bread.
    Though my weary steps may falter
    And my soul athirst may be,
    Gushing from the Rock before me,
    Lo! A spring of joy I see;
    Gushing from the Rock before me,
    Lo! A spring of joy I see.
  3. All the way my Savior leads me,
    Oh, the fullness of His love!
    Perfect rest to me is promised
    In my Father's house above.
    When my spirit, clothed immortal,
    Wings its flight to realms of day
    This my song through endless ages:
    Jesus led me all the way;
    This my song through endless ages:
    Jesus led me all the way.




Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Hebrews 4:11-16
English Standard Version

11 Let us therefore strive to enter that rest, so that no one may fall by the same sort of disobedience. 12 For the word of God is living and active, sharper than any two-edged sword, piercing to the division of soul and of spirit, of joints and of marrow, and discerning the thoughts and intentions of the heart. 13 And no creature is hidden from his sight, but all are naked and exposed to the eyes of him to whom we must give account.

Jesus the Great High Priest

14 Since then we have a great high priest who has passed through the heavens, Jesus, the Son of God, let us hold fast our confession. 15 For we do not have a high priest who is unable to sympathize with our weaknesses, but one who in every respect has been tempted as we are, yet without sin. 16 Let us then with confidence draw near to the throne of grace, that we may receive mercy and find grace to help in time of need.


No comments: