Wednesday, June 14, 2023

Verse of the Day 6/14

Verse of the Day 6/14



Colossians 1:16-17
English Standard Version



16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. 17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together.


As I was sitting on my back screened in porch this morning I was blessed to see the sun rising in the sky and all creation singing.  Birds chirping, flowers blooming, crepe myrtles begiinning to bloom, sunshine filtering through the trees and a cool pleasant June morning.  I'm blessed to. know the God who created all of this.  As the end of verse 17 above states He is also the One who "holds things together."

Romans 8 is my favorite chapter in the Bible largely because of the "all things" statements that we find there beginning in verse 28 with "all things work together for good for those who love God and are called according to His purpose."  Becasue of the "all tings" contained in Romans 8, whenever I read "all things" in the Bible I take notice.  In today's passage, in the span of two verses Paul states "all things four times."  He declares to us that "all things were created by Him"  twice as well as He is before all things and that "all things" are held together by Him.

Stop and think of the ramifications of these all things statements today for each of us.  God created everything, is before all things and holds all things together.  I don't know if thers is any other passage in the Bible that succintly summarizes who God is.  Now think about what it means that He loves us; works for us, guides us and will lead us through this life until He brings us home to be with Him.

I'm reminded of the old Fannie Crosby song and we'll close with that today.

  1. All the way my Savior leads me,
    What have I to ask beside?
    Can I doubt His tender mercy,
    Who through life has been my Guide?
    Heav'nly peace, divinest comfort,
    Here by faith in Him to dwell!
    For I know, whate'er befall me,
    Jesus doeth all things well;
    For I know, whate'er befall me,
    Jesus doeth all things well.
  2. All the way my Savior leads me,
    Cheers each winding path I tread,
    Gives me grace for every trial,
    Feeds me with the living Bread.
    Though my weary steps may falter
    And my soul athirst may be,
    Gushing from the Rock before me,
    Lo! A spring of joy I see;
    Gushing from the Rock before me,
    Lo! A spring of joy I see.
  3. All the way my Savior leads me,
    Oh, the fullness of His love!
    Perfect rest to me is promised
    In my Father's house above.
    When my spirit, clothed immortal,
    Wings its flight to realms of day
    This my song through endless ages:
    Jesus led me all the way;
    This my song through endless ages:
    Jesus led me all the way.



Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

Colossians 1:15-20
English Standard Version

The Preeminence of Christ

15 He is the image of the invisible God, the firstborn of all creation. 16 For by him all things were created, in heaven and on earth, visible and invisible, whether thrones or dominions or rulers or authorities—all things were created through him and for him. 17 And he is before all things, and in him all things hold together. 18 And he is the head of the body, the church. He is the beginning, the firstborn from the dead, that in everything he might be preeminent. 19 For in him all the fullness of God was pleased to dwell, 20 and through him to reconcile to himself all things, whether on earth or in heaven, making peace by the blood of his cross.


No comments: