Sunday, May 28, 2023

Verse of the Day 5/28

Verse of the Day 5/28



John 10:14-15
English Standard Version



14 I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.

In this same passage Jesus has said in verse 10 "I have come that they may have life and have it more abundantly", it is one of my favorite verses and it ties in closely with today's verses.  He is the good shepherd.  He knows us intimately, knows what is best for us and He cares for us more than we can ever imagine.

When we acknowledge Him as the good shepherd we also acknowledge that we know Him and we should want to know and love Him more.  Our hearts should be on a mission to know Him better, as we recall from Psalm 84:5 blessed are those "whose heart is set on pilgrimage".  We are on a lifelong journey to know Him and He is leading us along the way.

J.R. Miller writes, "Does Christ, the Good Shepherd, give care and thought to each particular sheep, so that He knows each one's present condition and circumstances? Does He know when one of His people is in trouble, is sick or suffering, when one has been hurt in some way, or when one is in danger? Does He know when one strays from the safe enclosure of the fold and wanders off into peril?....The answer to all these questions is the same. Every redeemed one has his own special place in the heart of Christ! Paul put this truth most strikingly in a sentence when he said of Christ: "He loved me, and gave Himself for me!" Galatians 2:20. "

How well do you know Jesus?

  1. There is a Name I love to hear,
    I love to sing its worth;
    It sounds like music in my ear,
    The sweetest Name on earth.
    • Refrain:
      Oh, how I love Jesus,
      Oh, how I love Jesus,
      Oh, how I love Jesus,
      Because He first loved me!
  2. It tells me of a Savior's love,
    Who died to set me free;
    It tells me of His precious blood,
    The sinner's perfect plea.
  3. It tells me of a Father's smile
    Beaming upon His child;
    It cheers me through this little while,
    Through desert, waste, and wild.
  4. It tells me what my Father hath
    In store for every day,
    And though I tread a darksome path,
    Yields sunshine all the way.
  5. It tells of One whose loving heart
    Can feel my deepest woe;
    Who in each sorrow bears a part
    That none can bear below.
  6. It bids my trembling heart rejoice;
    It dries each rising tear;
    It tells me, in a "still small voice,"
    To trust and never fear.
  7. Jesus, the Name I love so well,
    The Name I love to hear:
    No saint on earth its worth can tell,
    No heart conceive how dear.



Blessings,
Mike

Folllow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Ephesians 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace.  NIV

John 10:7-15
English Standard Version

So Jesus again said to them, "Truly, truly, I say to you, I am the door of the sheep. All who came before me are thieves and robbers, but the sheep did not listen to them. I am the door. If anyone enters by me, he will be saved and will go in and out and find pasture. 10 The thief comes only to steal and kill and destroy. I came that they may have life and have it abundantly. 11 I am the good shepherd. The good shepherd lays down his life for the sheep. 12 He who is a hired hand and not a shepherd, who does not own the sheep, sees the wolf coming and leaves the sheep and flees, and the wolf snatches them and scatters them. 13 He flees because he is a hired hand and cares nothing for the sheep. 14 I am the good shepherd. I know my own and my own know me, 15 just as the Father knows me and I know the Father; and I lay down my life for the sheep.


No comments: