Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Verse of the Day 8/13

Through the Bible - Psalms 99-101, Romans 14

Good morning,
Having gone through our share of trials and yes, tragedies in our lives, admittedly there have been times when we've questioned God. We look, and search for answers and reasons as to why things happen. Our tendency is to look at events that happen afterwards, good things, and someone will tell us that was why the tragedy or illness happened.
I recently watched a message from Andy Stanley's video series "Twisted" where he put forth a different explanation. He said, (I'm paraphrasing in a nutshell) that we tend to see things on such a small scale yet try to tie things up neatly together. We try to have it, want to have it all figured out.
God sees things as they are, on a much larger scale. We will never find all the answers, all the reasons why things happened. We may see pieces, glimpses, but through it all our response should be that of Job, to trust God no matter what.
For today's verse we'll go to 1 Corinthians 13, better known for the first 10 verses dealing with love.
Now we see things imperfectly as in a poor mirror, but then we will see everything with perfect clarity. All that I know now is partial and incomplete, but then I will know everything completely, just as God knows me now. (1 Corinthians 13:12 NLT)
In a future time, in eternity we will see things more clearly, questions may be answered. Could you also believe that we will not have all these questions answered?
Sometimes we may feel that we have a list of questions that we'd like to ask God, ask Jesus, when we get to heaven.
Consider these thoughts from Greg Laurie in his book "Why God?"
At this point, you might be saying, "Well, I have a lot of questions for God. When I get to heaven I'm going to ask Him some things. In fact, I've got a list."

You just keep that list with you. Take it with you everywhere you go, and then if you die unexpectedly, you'll have it handy to pull out and ask God when you stand before Him.

Somehow, I don't think that's the way it will be. I suggest to you that when you arrive in heaven, when you see your Creator, your God, your Savior in all His blazing glory, you'll forget all about your little list of questions.

Our perplexities, distressing as they may be, will one day be swept away.


The weight of our questions might just been blown away by the glory of God.
2 Cor 4:16-18

So we're not giving up. How could we! Even though on the outside it often looks like things are falling apart on us, on the inside, where God is making new life, not a day goes by without his unfolding grace. These hard times are small potatoes compared to the coming good times, the lavish celebration prepared for us. There's far more here than meets the eye. The things we see now are here today, gone tomorrow. But the things we can't see now will last forever.
(from THE MESSAGE)


Do you have a list of questions?
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net


1 Cor 13:8-

8 Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. 9 For we know in part and we prophesy in part. 10 But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.

11 When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. 12 For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known.
13 And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love.


NKJV

No comments: