Friday, August 22, 2008

Verse of the Day 8/22

Through the Bible - Psalm 119:1-5-176, 1 Corinthians 6

Good morning,
Yesterday we looked at perspective and the difference it can make in our lives, especially as followers of Christ.
One of the things that helps to change our perspective is to spend time in His Word and prayer.
When stress and the cares of this world cause me to toss and turn I often end up getting up before the dawn and retreat to a place (our in the screened in porch in summer or in my recliner in cooler weather) with a cup of coffee and my Bible to spend time in the Bible and in prayer. It is truly amazing how those cares that kept me awake seem to disappear or at least lose their significance.
I don't know where I'd be or what condition I'd be in if it wasn't for that place to withdraw to.
Today's verse comes from Psalm 119 which is focused on God's Word and it's importance in our lives.
Ps 119:113 I hate the two-faced,
but I love your clear-cut revelation.
You're my place of quiet retreat;
I wait for your Word to renew me.

(from THE MESSAGE

(from THE MESSAGE)
or from the NKJV
Ps 119:113 I hate the double-minded,
But I love Your law.
114 You are my hiding place and my shield;
I hope in Your word.



Read the passage, these 16 verses of the psalm below. I've used The Message translation to put it in today's language. It's about diligence and persistence and obedience in the face of oppressors, oppression. This diligence to spend time with our Lord will help us to keep the right perspective and not have to worry about looking back over our shoulder - "Then I'd never have any regrets" (119:.6).
I'm reminded of the song Hiding Place
Hiding Place -
Steven Curtis Chapman

In the distance I can see the storm clouds coming my way,
And I need to find a shelter
Before it starts to rain,
So I turn and run to you Lord;
You're the only place to go,
Where unfailing love surrounds me
When I need it most.

CHORUS
You're my hiding place;
Safe in your embrace,
I'm protected from the storm that rages
When the waters rise,
And I run to hide;
Lord, in You I find my hiding place.

I'm not asking You to take away
My troubles, Lord,
'Cause it's through the stormy weather
I learn to trust You more.
And I thank You for Your promise;
I have come to know
Your unfailing love surrounds me
When I need it most.

(chorus)

So let Your people seek You
While You may be found,
'Cause You're our only refuge
When the rain comes pouring down.

You're my hiding place;
Safe in your embrace,
I'm protected from the storm that rages
When the waters rise,
And I run to hide;
Lord, in You I find my hiding place.




Do you have your hiding place?
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net

Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace NIV

Ps 119:113-129

I hate the double-minded,But I love Your law. 114 You are my hiding place and my shield;I hope in Your word. 115 Depart from me, you evildoers,For I will keep the commandments of my God! 116 Uphold me according to Your word, that I may live;And do not let me be ashamed of my hope. 117 Hold me up, and I shall be safe,And I shall observe Your statutes continually. 118 You reject all those who stray from Your statutes,For their deceit is falsehood. 119 You put away all the wicked of the earth like dross;Therefore I love Your testimonies. 120 My flesh trembles for fear of You,And I am afraid of Your judgments.
121 I have done justice and righteousness;Do not leave me to my oppressors. 122 Be surety for Your servant for good;Do not let the proud oppress me. 123 My eyes fail from seeking Your salvationAnd Your righteous word. 124 Deal with Your servant according to Your mercy,And teach me Your statutes. 125 I am Your servant;Give me understanding,That I may know Your testimonies. 126 It is time for You to act, O Lord,For they have regarded Your law as void. 127 Therefore I love Your commandmentsMore than gold, yes, than fine gold! 128 Therefore all Your precepts concerning all thingsI consider to be right;I hate every false way.
1
NKJV

No comments: