Saturday, August 23, 2008

Verse of the Day weekend 8/23

Through the Bible - Psalms 120-125, 1 Corinthians 7

Good morning,
In yesterday's devotional we considered "perspective". We'll stay on that subject as we go to this weekend's verse which comes from Psalm 118.
When I read these verses and others in the psalms that mention "a broad place", I think of the mountains of Colorado. You can be socked in by the fog, but when the fog lifts and the clouds part, the skies clear, and the sun breaks through. Suddenly you can see clearly ... for miles.

Ps 118:5 I called on the Lord in distress;
The Lord answered me and set me in a broad place.
6 The Lord is on my side;
I will not fear.
What can man do to me? NKJV


Sometimes it is like that in the struggles, the trials of life. When we arrive to this broad place we have a different perspective, we have a clearer view of life and what lies ahead.
J. R. Miller writes, "There is a large part of the Bible which can be received by us, only when we come into the places for which the words were given. There are promises for weakness--which we can never get, while we are strong. There are promises for times of danger--which we can never know, in the days when we need no protection. There are consolations for sickness whose comfort we can never get, while we are in robust health. There are promises for times of loneliness, when men walk in solitary ways--which never can come with real meaning to us, while loving companions are by our side. There are words for old age--which we never can appropriate for ourselves along the years of youth, when the arm is strong, the blood warm, and the heart brave.

Christ says to us then, "I have much more to say to you--more than you can now bear." We could not understand these lessons now. But by and by when we come into places of need, of sorrow, of weakness, of failure, of loneliness, of sickness, of old age--then He will tell us these other things, these long-withheld things, and they will be full of joy for our hearts! "

"I have much more to say to you--more than you can now bear." John 16:12

God's grace can bring us to that place where even in the midst of a trial we can look ahead to a time when "I'll fly away".
I'll Fly Away



Some bright morning when this life is over
I'll fly away
To that home on God's celestial shore
I'll fly away

I'll fly away oh glory
I'll fly away (in the morning)
When I die hallelujah by and by
I'll fly away

When the shadows of this life have gone
I'll fly away
Like a bird from these prison walls I'll fly
I'll fly away

Oh how glad and happy when we meet
I'll fly away
No more cold iron shackles on my feet
I'll fly away

Just a few more weary days and then
I'll fly away
To a land where joys will never end
I'll fly away




Many people at our church will be getting baptized at a lake this weekend. May God set them in a broad place as they celebrate and testify of His love and salvation, may He give them a new or renewed perspective.

In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net

Ps 118:1-10

Praise to God for His Everlasting Mercy

118 Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good!
For His mercy endures forever.

2 Let Israel now say,
"His mercy endures forever."
3 Let the house of Aaron now say,
"His mercy endures forever."
4 Let those who fear the Lord now say,
"His mercy endures forever."

5 I called on the Lord in distress;
The Lord answered me and set me in a broad place.
6 The Lord is on my side;
I will not fear.
What can man do to me?

7 The Lord is for me among those who help me;
Therefore I shall see my desire on those who hate me.
8 It is better to trust in the Lord
Than to put confidence in man.
9 It is better to trust in the Lord
Than to put confidence in princes.


NKJV

No comments: