Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Verse of the Day 12/10

Through the Bible - Hosea 7-10, Revelation 3

Good morning,
For today's verse we'll go to Revelation chapter 2 where today we'll look at what Jesus had to say to the church at Ephasus. The church is commneded for it's works, labor, patience and adherence to the doctrines of the faith.

Kevin DeYoung writes, "Jesus commended them for two virtues scarcely mentioned in the emerging church: intolerance (of false teaching) and hatrred (of immorality). For all the talk in emerging circles about the supremely inclusive kingdom of God, it should not escape our notice that Ephasus was not praised for it's inclusion, but for their exclusion."
That being said, he also noted that "The church at Ephasus was your exemplary fundamentalist, evangelical church with a good Protestant work ethic and a close eye on theological orthodoxy. This was good, but these things aren't the only things that matter in a church. Ephasus had one big, cancerous problem. They didn't love."

What was the solution? We go to today's verse.
Rev 2:4 Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. 5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place — unless you repent. NKJV
or from The Message
Rev 2:5-6 Do you have any idea how far you've fallen? A Lucifer fall!
"Turn back! Recover your dear early love. No time to waste, for I'm well on my way to removing your light from the golden circle
.

Jesus starts with a word that has also come out of favor with many in "Christian" circles and churches today, repentance. Repentance involves stopping, realizing your condition, your needs; then turning and changing your ways, acknowledging your sin, acknowledging God, and following (submitting) to Him.

DeYoung writes, "some (churches) grow sterile and cold, petrified as the frozen chosen, not compromising with the world, but not engaging it either."
The church in Ephasus had stopped doing something that they used to do. They followed the first commandment, to love God, but had neglected, perhaps forgotten about the second, to "love your neighbor as yourself."

We must not become "the frozen chosen". We constantly need to turn to Jesus and have Him, through the power of the Holy Spirit, to "Teach us to Love".

Teach Me to Love - Steve Green

All my life I've had to struggle to be free
Though I see no end in sight
I stand in line with men
Who made a vow to never stop the fight
And to trust that you can comprehend
A loss you've never known
Will take a love that I have searched for
But love I cannot find alone

There's no power but the power of the cross
That can melt my hardened heart
And show me all the pride and arrogance
That tear our souls apart
For injustice that you suffer
And for our nation's shameful sin
I humbly ask for your forgiveness
We need to learn to love again

Chorus:
Lord, teach me to love
Show me how to care for others
Cause my soul to burn within
For the fellowship of my brother
Only You can break the chains
That have held me for so long
Lord, You're my hope, my only hope
Teach me to love

Chorus

So daily I seek to know the Christ
Who suffered for all men
For in Him I find the courage
To ask again and again

Teach me to love.


May that be our hearts desire not only in this season but every day.

In Christ,
Mike

Rev 2:1-8
The Loveless Church
2 "To the angel of the church of Ephesus write,
'These things says He who holds the seven stars in His right hand, who walks in the midst of the seven golden lampstands: 2 "I know your works, your labor, your patience, and that you cannot bear those who are evil. And you have tested those who say they are apostles and are not, and have found them liars; 3 and you have persevered and have patience, and have labored for My name's sake and have not become weary. 4 Nevertheless I have this against you, that you have left your first love. 5 Remember therefore from where you have fallen; repent and do the first works, or else I will come to you quickly and remove your lampstand from its place รข€” unless you repent. 6 But this you have, that you hate the deeds of the Nicolaitans, which I also hate.
7 "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches. To him who overcomes I will give to eat from the tree of life, which is in the midst of the Paradise of God."'

NKJV

No comments: