Friday, December 19, 2008

Verse of the Day 12/19

Through the Bible - Micah 4-5, Revelation 12

Good morning,
We'll take one more look at the churches in Revelation returning to the church in Laodicea, and Jesus' closing statement "I stand at the door and knock."

Over the years,many, myself included when I was involved in jail ministries, used this verse in personal evangelism, encouraging the listener to "open the door of their heart to Jesus". It's a nice sentiment but not what the verse is about.

I came to realize (not on my own) that it is really a picture of Christ, standing outside of the church knocking, seeing if they are willing or as we saw yesterday, felt a need for Him to come in. I recall the painting of this scene growing up, later noticing that the door had no handle on the outside.

MacArthur writes, "The door on which Christ is knocking is not the door to a single human heart, but to the Laodicean church. Christ was outside the apostate church and wanted to come in - something that could only happen if the people repented."
Rev 3:20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. NKJV

Thriving churches have a passion for Christ, for ministry, they are not "cookie cutter" churches, they are different, some grow from their passion for youth, young adults, missions, prayer, teaching and sending or any combination of these. The lukewarm church was indifferent, what went on around them really didn't matter, it didn't concern them.

J. I. Packer points out that "marks of decline (of a church) include high tolerance for half heartedness, moral failure, and compromise; low expectations of holiness in oneself and others; willingness to remain spiritual pigmies; apathy about the advancement of God's cause and His glory; and contentment, even complacency, with things as they are. Charles Finney once said, "Christians are more to blame for not being revived than sinners are for not being converted."

What was lacking was something that was pointed out in Hebrews 4:2
Heb 4:2 For indeed the gospel was preached to us as well as to them; but the word which they heard did not profit them, not being mixed with faith in those who heard it. NKJV

How does the Word impact you? Does it inspire you, move you to change, to action? What about your church? Is the door closed? If so will you be one who would open the door? Hearing, as we just read in Heb. 4:2, must be mixed with faith. Faith is an action word, it needs to be applied. Hearing mixed with faith and applied is a recipe for life, and also life in a church.

IF you question this take a few minutes this weekend and read Hebrews 11 which begins by saying:
Heb 11:1 Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen. NKJV
Faith involves opening that door.
In Christ,
Mike

Rev 3:14-4:1
The Lukewarm Church
14 "And to the angel of the church of the Laodiceans write,
'These things says the Amen, the Faithful and True Witness, the Beginning of the creation of God: 15 "I know your works, that you are neither cold nor hot. I could wish you were cold or hot. 16 So then, because you are lukewarm, and neither cold nor hot, I will vomit you out of My mouth. 17 Because you say,'I am rich, have become wealthy, and have need of nothing' — and do not know that you are wretched, miserable, poor, blind, and naked — 18 I counsel you to buy from Me gold refined in the fire, that you may be rich; and white garments, that you may be clothed, that the shame of your nakedness may not be revealed; and anoint your eyes with eye salve, that you may see. 19 As many as I love, I rebuke and chasten. Therefore be zealous and repent. 20 Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears My voice and opens the door, I will come in to him and dine with him, and he with Me. 21 To him who overcomes I will grant to sit with Me on My throne, as I also overcame and sat down with My Father on His throne.
22 "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."'"

NKJV

No comments: