Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Verse of the Day 12/17

Through the Bible - Jonah 4 - Micah 2, Revelation 10

Good morning,

We received a letter yesterday from some missionary friends who had just had their second child. What a gift. In the letter they gave an update on how things were going overseas. In doing so they shared their mission, it was very simple Win, Build, Send. Win others to Christ, build relationships with other believers and most importantly a solid foundational relationship with Christ, and then send them to serve Him. One of the young men that they had been working with was doing just that. He had come to know Christ, had learned and experienced the love of friends including Christ, and now he was off desiring to spread the love of God to where he was being sent.

It should be the goal of our church and every other church. The wife and mother mentioned above was won in our church, grew in faith here, and was sent out to serve.

Today we'll take a look at what Christ had to say to the church in Philadelphia, the faithful church. I would think that this church was doing those same things. The church wasn't large in stature, most likely it was a small church, but they were steadfast and faithful. When a church has these characteristics God will open doors for ministry.

Rev 3: 8 "I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name. NKJV

Today's verse comes from a little further down in the passage.


Rev 3:12 He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name. NKJV
or from The Message:
Rev 3:12 "I'll make each conqueror a pillar in the sanctuary of my God, a permanent position of honor. Then I'll write names on you, the pillars: the Name of my God, the Name of God's City — the new Jerusalem coming down out of Heaven — and my new Name.
(from THE MESSAGE)


Take note of phrase "I will make him a pillar". You here references to people being a pillar in the community or the church. The thought brings me back to pictures of some of the old cities in biblical times that had temples with huge pillars such as Priene. Did you ever think of what pillars do?
They stand firm and tall. They endure, through good times and bad. They support the rest of the structure. Remove or topple some of them ( as Samson did) and the building crumbles. Looking back at some of those pictures of Priene some of these pillars are still standing while the rest of the temple lies in ruins.

Something else you would notice about those pillars. Most often they had the names of the person who had created and formed them engraved on them. Notice what Jesus says to these "pillars", He will write the name of God, the name of God's City - the new Jerusalem, and write on him His new name.

It starts with a simple plan, win, build, and send. Those who maintain this for a lifetime will be those pillars with God's name inscribed on them.

It goes beyond the outside, it's in the heart. I'm reminded of the old hymn "O to be Like Thee", here is one line from that song.

Oh! to be like Thee, oh! to be like Thee,
Blessed Redeemer, pure as Thou art;
Come in Thy sweetness, come in Thy fullness;
Stamp Thine own image deep on my heart.


MacArthur writes that "the letter to the faithful Philadelphia church reveals that the holy, true, sovereign, omnipotent God pours out His blessings on the churches that remain loyal to Him. He will bless them with open doors for evangelism, eternal salvation, kingdom blessings, and deliverance form the great time of testing that will come on the earth. He will ultimately bring all those who persevere in their faith to the eternal bliss of heaven, where He will reveal Himself fully to them."
Would you, would your church want to be know as a "dead church" or one that "perseveres"? It will have a lot to do with that simple formula - win, build, and send.

In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net

Rev 3:7-14

The Faithful Church

7 "And to the angel of the church in Philadelphia write,

'These things says He who is holy, He who is true, "He who has the key of David, He who opens and no one shuts, and shuts and no one opens": 8 "I know your works. See, I have set before you an open door, and no one can shut it; for you have a little strength, have kept My word, and have not denied My name. 9 Indeed I will make those of the synagogue of Satan, who say they are Jews and are not, but lie — indeed I will make them come and worship before your feet, and to know that I have loved you. 10 Because you have kept My command to persevere, I also will keep you from the hour of trial which shall come upon the whole world, to test those who dwell on the earth. 11 Behold, I am coming quickly! Hold fast what you have, that no one may take your crown. 12 He who overcomes, I will make him a pillar in the temple of My God, and he shall go out no more. I will write on him the name of My God and the name of the city of My God, the New Jerusalem, which comes down out of heaven from My God. And I will write on him My new name.

13 "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches."'


NKJV

No comments: