Friday, September 18, 2009

Verse of the Day 9/18

Through the Bible - Ecclesiastes 7-9, 2 Corinthians 12
 
Good morning,
The other day I came home from work to see 5" x 8" signs all over my living room.  Each sign named a sin, from gossip, to pride, to angry words, lying and lust.  Was my wife trying to tell me something?
Actually they  were props for her Tuesday morning Bible study group. The message was sobering.
 
We all tend to think fairly (I could probably drop that adjective) highly of ourselves.  But looking across the room, and being honest I realized that many of these things were in my heart.  They may be "below the surface" where others don't see but they eventually come out at some point.
 
The focus for the study group was to pick out three that you struggled with, share them, pray for and ask for victory over them.
In today's New Testament reading above, Paul is writing to the Corinthian church.  He was concerned about there spiritual condition and what he might find if he were to drop in on them.
 
2 Cor 12:20 For I am afraid that when I come I won't like what I find, and you won't like my response. I am afraid that I will find quarreling, jealousy, anger, selfishness, slander, gossip, arrogance, and disorderly behavior. 21 Yes, I am afraid that when I come again, God will humble me in your presence. And I will be grieved because many of you have not given up your old sins. You have not repented of your impurity, sexual immorality, and eagerness for lustful pleasure.  NLT

What would Jesus find if he were to drop in on us at our meetings, in our home, or in our work places, or among friends?  Would he be "grieved" that we had not given up our "old sins"?
 
What are we to do?
 
Eph 4:31 Get rid of all bitterness, rage, anger, harsh words, and slander, as well as all types of evil behavior. 32 Instead, be kind to each other, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God through Christ has forgiven you.
NLT
Sometimes we need to see those signs, whether they be 5"x 8" in a group, or billboard signs revealed to us one at a time.  The goal being for Christ to eradicate, remove them from our hearts and lives.  To press on day by day by His grace and in the power of the Holy Spirit.  I was reminded of another "old" hymn, "I'm Pressing On":

I'm pressing on the upward way,
new heights I'm gaining everyday.
Still praying as I onward bound,
 
Lord, lift me up and let me stand,
by faith on heaven's table land;
no higher plane than I have found,
Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.


Lord, plant my feet on higher ground.
 
May that be our prayer today.
 
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
2 Cor 12:14-13:1
 
Love for the Church
 
19 Again, do you think that we excuse ourselves to you? We speak before God in Christ. But we do all things, beloved, for your edification. 20 For I fear lest, when I come, I shall not find you such as I wish, and that I shall be found by you such as you do not wish; lest there be contentions, jealousies, outbursts of wrath, selfish ambitions, backbitings, whisperings, conceits, tumults; 21 lest, when I come again, my God will humble me among you, and I shall mourn for many who have sinned before and have not repented of the uncleanness, fornication, and lewdness which they have practiced.    NKJV

No comments: