Monday, September 7, 2009

Verse of the Day 9/7

Through the Bible - Proverbs 15-16, 2 Corinthians 2
 
Good morning,
For today's verse we'll conclude our look at some of the verses in 1 Corinthians with a challenge, a call, that Paul gives to the church in Corinth.  It is a call that still goes out to us today.
 
In chapter 15 verse 58 we read:
1 Cor 15:58-With all this going for us, my dear, dear friends, stand your ground. And don't hold back. Throw yourselves into the work of the Master, confident that nothing you do for him is a waste of time or effort.   NLT
For today's verse we'll move forward a few verses into chapter 16 where Paul reinforces this challenge, this call.
1 Cor 16:13 Watch, stand fast in the faith, be brave, be strong. 14 Let all that you do be done with love.    NKJV
or from the NLT
1 Cor 16:13 Be on guard. Stand firm in the faith. Be courageous. Be strong. 14 And do everything with love.

We, like the Corinthians, are to be alert - aware of what it going on around us,  firm - not "wishy washy" about our faith, but holding onto it in the toughest circumstances, mature - this involves having discretion, perception, wisdom, and understanding of His ways; strong - not in ourselves but in the "power of His might" (Eph. 6:10) ; and loving - in all we do, for a reminder go back and reread 1 Corinthians 13.
 
1 Cor 13:4 Love is patient and kind. Love is not jealous or boastful or proud 5 or rude. It does not demand its own way. It is not irritable, and it keeps no record of being wronged. 6 It does not rejoice about injustice but rejoices whenever the truth wins out. 7 Love never gives up, never loses faith, is always hopeful, and endures through every circumstance.  NLT
Enjoy the Labor Day holiday.  Take some time to rest.  Take some time to consider the following verses:
 
Isa 55:2 Why spend money on what is not bread,
and your labor on what does not satisfy?
Listen, listen to me, and eat what is good,
and your soul will delight in the richest of fare.   NIV

1 Cor 15:58 Therefore, my dear brothers, stand firm. Let nothing move you. Always give yourselves fully to the work of the Lord, because you know that your labor in the Lord is not in vain.   NIV

Think also for those who have labored for you "in the faith", remember them and praise God for them today.
 
1 Thess 1:2 We always thank God for all of you, mentioning you in our prayers. 3 We continually remember before our God and Father your work produced by faith, your labor prompted by love, and your endurance inspired by hope in our Lord Jesus Christ.   NIV
1 Cor 16:5-19
 
Paul's Final Instructions
 
5 I am coming to visit you after I have been to Macedonia, for I am planning to travel through Macedonia. 6 Perhaps I will stay awhile with you, possibly all winter, and then you can send me on my way to my next destination. 7 This time I don't want to make just a short visit and then go right on. I want to come and stay awhile, if the Lord will let me. 8 In the meantime, I will be staying here at Ephesus until the Festival of Pentecost. 9 There is a wide-open door for a great work here, although many oppose me.
 
10 When Timothy comes, don't intimidate him. He is doing the Lord's work, just as I am. 11 Don't let anyone treat him with contempt. Send him on his way with your blessing when he returns to me. I expect him to come with the other believers.
 
12 Now about our brother Apollos—I urged him to visit you with the other believers, but he was not willing to go right now. He will see you later when he has the opportunity.
 
13 Be on guard. Stand firm in the faith. Be courageous. Be strong. 14 And do everything with love.
 
15 You know that Stephanas and his household were the first of the harvest of believers in Greece, and they are spending their lives in service to God's people. I urge you, dear brothers and sisters, 16 to submit to them and others like them who serve with such devotion. 17 I am very glad that Stephanas, Fortunatus, and Achaicus have come here. They have been providing the help you weren't here to give me. 18 They have been a wonderful encouragement to me, as they have been to you. You must show your appreciation to all who serve so well.  NLT

No comments: