Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Verse of the Day 8/10

Through the Bible - Psalm 94-95, Romans 12
 
Good morning,
Yesterday, the men's small group that I'm in was studying John 17:13-19 where Jesus prays for His disciples.  He was preparing them to be sent out into the world, to evangelize.  In doing so they were to be in the world but not of the world.  They were to remain who they were in Christ.
John 17:18 As you sent me into the world, I have sent them into the world.   NIV
Today's "Today in the Word" devotional from Moody Bible Institute was in 1 Corinthians 4 where Paul gives us an idea of how this is to be accomplished; the mind set necessary to be effective witnesses.

1 Corinthians 4:12-13 (Amplified Bible) And we still toil unto weariness [for our living], working hard with our own hands. When men revile us [wound us with an accursed sting], we bless them. When we are persecuted, we take it patiently and endure it.  13When we are slandered and defamed, we [try to] answer softly and bring comfort. We have been made and are now the rubbish and filth of the world [the offscouring of all things, the scum of the earth].

When we look out into the world around us today, we see increasingly that Christians are being reviled, slandered, defamed, and yes persecuted for what they believe and holding on to it.  Paul's teaching, his advice is not to lash out in return but to endure, bless, answer softly, and bring comfort to the oppressors.  Not an easy task.
 
For today's verse we'll go a little further into the chapter where Paul encourages his readers to "imitate him" in his actions and to have the same mind set, to set our minds on Christ.

1 Corinthians 4:16-17 (Amplified Bible) So I urge and implore you, be imitators of me.

17For this very cause I sent to you Timothy, who is my beloved and trustworthy child in the Lord, who will recall to your minds my methods of proceeding and course of conduct and way of life in Christ, such as I teach everywhere in each of the churches.

He calls his readers to recall his methods, course of conduct, and way of life "such as I teach".  John MacArthur points out that he was referring to "doctrine, not advice", Christ had given the "Great Commission" not the great suggestion.  He taught as He was taught by imitating Christ.  Timothy would reinforce these truths as would Jesus' true followers through the ages; people like Billy Graham and on to people like you and me.
 
What would it look like if there was more blessing and less reviling in the political arena, in our communities, in our churches and in our homes?
 
 
Paul's Paternal Care
 
14 I do not write these things to shame you, but as my beloved children I warn you.  15 For though you might have ten thousand instructors in Christ, yet you do not have many fathers; for in Christ Jesus I have begotten you through the gospel. 16 Therefore I urge you, imitate me. 17 For this reason I have sent Timothy to you, who is my beloved and faithful son in the Lord, who will remind you of my ways in Christ, as I teach everywhere in every church.
 
18 Now some are puffed up, as though I were not coming to you. 19 But I will come to you shortly, if the Lord wills, and I will know, not the word of those who are puffed up, but the power. 20 For the kingdom of God is not in word but in power. 21 What do you want? Shall I come to you with a rod, or in love and a spirit of gentleness?    NKJV

No comments: