Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Verse of the Day 8/11

Through the Bible - Psalms 96-98, Romans s13
 
Good morning,
I had another verse planned for today but in reading Psalm 130 this morning I decided to go there for this morning's verse.
 
Through the ages enemy attacks often took place under the cover of night.  I recently read of Gideon's defeat of the Midianites in Judges 7 where 300 men defeated a huge army because of the fear associated with the night and not being able to see the opponent clearly.  You can easily picture the air raids of the second world war. Gideon and his 300 men trusted in God and overcame a huge army not in their own wisdom and might but in God's.
 
For the soldiers standing, keeping watch when expecting such an attack, the first light of morning brought relief and hope.
 

Psalm 130:5-6 (Amplified Bible)I wait for the Lord, I expectantly wait, and in His word do I hope. 

 6I am looking and waiting for the Lord more than watchmen for the morning, I say, more than watchmen for the morning.

or from the NKJV:

Psalm 130:5-6 (New King James Version)I wait for the LORD, my soul waits,
         And in His word I do hope.
 6 My soul waits for the Lord
         More than those who watch for the morning—
         Yes, more than those who watch for the morning.

I included the Amplified translation because it conveys the condition or the attitude of the heart, waiting expectantly.

 

Often, our spiritual battles often come in the night as well, and like the soldier we wait for relief and we wait for it in hope.  I can relate to the dark night of my soul, praying and hoping that my son would live.  Those long dark hours seemed to last forever, but thankfully, the morning comes and with it comes hope for a new day.

 

The groanings of the heart are heard by our Father for those who wait in expectation with a hope that is based in God's Word and His promises.

Are you going through such a dark night, are you "in the depths" of depression (see Psalm 130:1 below)?

 

I would encourage you to "wait on the Lord".

Another of my favorite passages come to mind.  The Amplified translation for Isaiah 40 explains this waiting as "expecting, looking  for, and hoping" in Him.

Isaiah 40:28-31 (Amplified Bible)

28Have you not known? Have you not heard? The everlasting God, the Lord, the Creator of the ends of the earth, does not faint or grow weary; there is no searching of His understanding.

    29He gives power to the faint and weary, and to him who has no might He increases strength [causing it to multiply and making it to abound].

    30Even youths shall faint and be weary, and [selected] young men shall feebly stumble and fall exhausted;

    31But those who wait for the Lord [who expect, look for, and hope in Him] shall change and renew their strength and power; they shall lift their wings and mount up [close to God] as eagles [mount up to the sun]; they shall run and not be weary, they shall walk and not faint or become tired.

 

Blessings,
Mike

mikevw@bellsouth.net
mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Psalm 130

A Song of Ascents.
 1 Out of the depths I have cried to You, O LORD;
 2 Lord, hear my voice!
         Let Your ears be attentive
         To the voice of my supplications.
         
 3 If You, LORD, should mark iniquities,
         O Lord, who could stand?
 4 But there is forgiveness with You,
         That You may be feared.
         
 5 I wait for the LORD, my soul waits,
         And in His word I do hope.
 6 My soul waits for the Lord
         More than those who watch for the morning—
         Yes, more than those who watch for the morning.
         
 7 O Israel, hope in the LORD;
         For with the LORD there is mercy,
         And with Him is abundant redemption.
 8 And He shall redeem Israel
         From all his iniquities.

No comments: