Monday, August 9, 2010

Verse of the Day 8/9

Through the Bible - Psalm 91-93, Romans 11:13-36
 
Good morning,
In yesterday's devotional I mentioned that it is Billy Graham's hearts desire to have the strength to preach one more message at an evangelistic crusade.
 
The other day I read about Charles Spurgeon's final sermon and received an e-mail devotional from Gregg Laurie about evangelism.  With those thoughts in mind I thought that we'd go to 2 Timothy where Paul charges the young pastor to fulfill his ministry as an evangelist.
 
2 Tim 4:5 But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.   NKJV

Regarding his evangelistic events, Greg Laurie writes, "So why do it? Because I am a man under orders. I have a Commander-in-Chief called Jesus. He has commanded me to go into all the world and preach the gospel.

As I have often said, it is not the Great Suggestion; it is the Great Commission. And I am not the only one who is called to do this. You are called to do this as well.

It isn't really an option for me to say, "I won't share my faith. I won't preach the gospel. I won't tell others about Jesus." For me not to do this, for me not to make an effort to reach others with the gospel can be sin, because there are sins of commission and sins of omission.

An important part of this charge is that we be watchful "in all things" and in all situations, being prepared, fitted in our spiritual armor (Ephesians 6:10-18).
 
Laurie continues, "The seed you sow today could turn into a tremendous harvest later. Remember, the Word of God will not return void, but it will prosper in the place where He sends it (see Isaiah 55:11). You may think your attempt to share the gospel went nowhere, but you never know.

So keep sharing your faith. And be patient.

Think you can't be effective at evangelism? You just might be surprised."

For his complete devotional you may go to - http://www.harvest.org/devotional/archive/devotion/2010-08-07.html
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
2 Tim 4:1-6
 
Preach the Word
 
4 I charge you therefore before God and the Lord Jesus Christ, who will judge the living and the dead at His appearing and His kingdom: 2 Preach the word! Be ready in season and out of season. Convince, rebuke, exhort, with all longsuffering and teaching. 3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; 4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables. 5 But you be watchful in all things, endure afflictions, do the work of an evangelist, fulfill your ministry.   NKJV

No comments: