Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Verse of the Day 2/2

Through the Bible - Isaiah 30-31, Mark 7:14-37
 
Good morning,
The other day we considered that its "what's in the heart that defines the measure of a man".  Twice in the book of Acts God is literally called the "Heartknower".   (Acts 1:24 and 15:8) He knows what is in our hearts and we should realize that we cannot fool God.  Good or bad He knows what is there
 
For today's verse we'll go to this morning's New Testament reading where Jesus tells us that what comes out of our hearts defiles a man.
 
Mark 7:20 And he said,  "What comes out of a person is what defiles him.  21 For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft,  murder, adultery,  22 coveting, wickedness, deceit,  sensuality,  envy,  slander,  pride,  foolishness.  ESV

Putting the two thoughts together, what's in the heart defines and may defile a man.  If you look in the recesses of your heart which of these do you see, which have scarred your heart?  Verse 23 says  "All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person."   ESV.  There is no blaming the devil or anyone else it comes from within us?  What are we to do?
Perhaps you've seen some of them come out in your actions recently and it grieves your heart.  As a Christian we need to realize that even if this is the case, there is forgiveness there is hope.  Cast your burdens on Him for He cares for you.  Seek Him go to Him for a heart change.
 
I'm going to post the following Old Testament verses for you.  I won't add any comments.  Let the Word speak to you.
 
Ezek 36:25 I will sprinkle clean water on you, and you will be clean; I will cleanse you from all your impurities and from all your idols. 26 I will give you a new heart and put a new spirit in you; I will remove from you your heart of stone and give you a heart of flesh. 27 And I will put my Spirit in you and move you to follow my decrees and be careful to keep my laws.  NIV
Ps 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God,
And renew a steadfast spirit within me.
11 Do not cast me away from Your presence,
And do not take Your Holy Spirit from me.  
NKJV
or from The Message:
 
Ps 51:10-13
God, make a fresh start in me,
shape a Genesis week from the chaos of my life.
Don't throw me out with the trash,
or fail to breathe holiness in me.
Bring me back from gray exile,
put a fresh wind in my sails!
 
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Mark 7:14-24
 
What Defiles a Person
 
14 And he called the people to him again and said to them,  "Hear me, all of you, and understand:  15  There is nothing outside a person that by going into him can defile him, but the things that come out of a person are what defile him."  17 And when he had entered  the house and left the people,  his disciples asked him about the parable. 18 And he said to them, "Then  are you also without understanding? Do you not see that whatever goes into a person from outside cannot defile him,  19 since it enters not his heart  but his stomach, and is expelled?" ( Thus he declared all foods clean.) 20 And he said,  "What comes out of a person is what defiles him.  21 For from within, out of the heart of man, come evil thoughts, sexual immorality, theft,  murder, adultery,  22 coveting, wickedness, deceit,  sensuality,  envy,  slander,  pride,  foolishness.  23  All these evil things come from within, and they defile a person."   ESV

No comments: