Saturday, February 5, 2011

Verse of the Day - weekend 2/5

Through the Bible - Isaiah 37-40, Mark 9:30 - 10:31
 
Good morning,
Over the past week we've considered that "what's in the heart defines the measure of a man" and that it is also the things that come out of one's own heart that defiles a man.  How do we cope with that?
 
We have in our hearts the ability to turn to Him when He calls us or to turn from Him and to our own selfish, sinful desires.  Scripture and our own lives give us examples of this.
 
We can deceive ourselves but we cannot deceive God, He knows what is in our hearts.
 
Psalm 32:1  Blessed is the one whose  transgression is forgiven,
whose sin is covered.
2 Blessed is the man against whom the Lord  counts no iniquity,
and in whose spirit  there is no deceit. 
ESV
The heart that has turned, the person who has confessed his sinfulness and asks God to do a "Genesis work" in his heart will find peace and won't be deceived into chasing the wind.
As you prepare for worship this weekend, prepare to hear from God's Word through your pastor's sermon, consider these words from Pastor Ray Ortlund, who, in a recent blog, shows us four differences between deceit and honesty in our hearts.  He writes:

"One, a deceitful heart doesn't know its sin because it doesn't want to know. But an honest heart is saying, "Bring it on."

Two, a deceitful heart notices how well a sermon applies to someone else.  But an honest heart is too concerned about itself to judge another.

Three, a deceitful heart, when it isn't growing, blames its inertia on hardship or its church or even on God himself.  But an honest heart says, "It's my fault.  I need to get in gear."

Four, a deceitful heart delays response.  It says, "I'll get around to it, even soon.  But I can't right now."  An honest heart puts God first.  Delayed obedience is a way of saying, "I'm setting the terms.  I am Lord."  But an honest heart says, "Lord, whatever you want – right now."  An honest heart says, with the old hymn,

The dearest idol I have known, whate'er that idol be,
Help me to tear it from thy throne and worship only thee."

Will you apply the message to yourself and not another?  Do you need to stop blaming and say with an honest heart "it's my fault, I need to get in gear"?  Will you put it off and tell yourself 'I'll get around to it later"?
 
Read Psalm 32, 37, or 51 this weekend for a look into David's heart or Isaiah 40 for Isaiah's.   Will you find similarities?
 
Ps 32:6 Therefore let everyone who is  godly offer prayer to you at a time when you  may be found;surely in the rush of  great waters,they shall not reach him.7 You are a  hiding place for me;you preserve me from  trouble;you surround me with  shouts of deliverance.   ESV

In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Ps 32:1-7
 
32 Blessed is the one whose  transgression is forgiven,whose sin is covered.2 Blessed is the man against whom the Lord  counts no iniquity,and in whose spirit  there is no deceit.
3 For when I kept silent, my  bones wasted away through my  groaning all day long.4 For day and night your  hand was heavy upon me;my strength was dried up as by the heat of summer.Selah
5 I  acknowledged my sin to you,and I did not cover my iniquity;I said, "I  will confess my transgressions to the Lord,"and you forgave the iniquity of my sin.Selah
6 Therefore let everyone who is  godly offer prayer to you at a time when you  may be found;surely in the rush of  great waters,they shall not reach him.7 You are a  hiding place for me;you preserve me from  trouble;you surround me with  shouts of deliverance.   ESV

No comments: