Saturday, February 12, 2011

Verse of the Day -weekend 2/12

Through the Bible - Isaiah 53-58, Mark 13
 
Good morning,
We've been considering how the eyes of the Lord go to and fro, searching for hearts, for a few good men that will follow Him and do His will.  We've also considered the deceitfulness of the human heart.
 
David, one of those "few good men" was aware of his heart condition, the frailty of it, and how it could be turned.  He also knew that he could not fool God, his thoughts, plots and actions were known to Him.  Having once fallen mightily he did not want to go there again, and continually sought help from God.
 
Ps 139:1-O Lord, you have  searched me and known me!
2 You  know when I sit down and when I rise up;
you  discern my thoughts from afar.
3 You search out my path and my lying down
and are acquainted with all my ways.
4 Even before a word is on my tongue,
behold, O Lord,  you know it altogether.   ESV
 
For this weekend's verse, we'll go to the end of Psalm 139 where David reveals his heart.  He knows that at any time God knows his hearts condition whether he, David, realizes it or not.  David seeks to know his heart condition.
 
Ps 139:23 Search me, O God, and know my heart!
 Try me and know my thoughts!
24 And see if there be any grievous way in me,
and  lead me in  the way everlasting!  
ESV
The request for God to search his heart was not a one and done thing.  David invites God to continually search his heart, root out any evil or bitterness before it takes hold.
 
In preparation for worship this weekend.  Talk to God, have Him search your heart.  Perhaps the words to the hymn "Search Me O God" may help.  You may also consider reading Psalms 32, 37, 51 or 139 this weekend.
 
Search Me O God -  James E. Orr 1936
 
  1. Search me, O God, and know my heart today,
    Try me, O Savior, know my thoughts, I pray;
    See if there be some wicked way in me;
    Cleanse me from every sin, and set me free.
  2. I praise Thee, Lord, for cleansing me from sin;
    Fulfill Thy word and make me pure within;
    Fill me with fire, where once I burned with shame;
    Grant my desire to magnify Thy name.
  3. Lord, take my life, and make it wholly Thine;
    Fill my poor heart with Thy great love divine;
    Take all my will, my passion, self and pride;
    I now surrender, Lord, in me abide.
  4. O Holy Ghost, revival comes from Thee;
    Send a revival, start the work in me;
    Thy Word declares Thou wilt supply our need;
    For blessings now, O Lord, I humbly plead.
 
In Christ,
Mike
mikevw@bellsouth.net
http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV
Ps 139:13-140:1
 
13 For you  formed my inward parts;
you  knitted me together in my mother's womb.
14 I praise you, for I am fearfully and wonderfully made.
 Wonderful are your works;
my soul knows it very well.
15  My frame was not hidden from you,
when I was being made in secret,
intricately woven in  the depths of the earth.
16 Your eyes saw my unformed substance;
in your  book were written, every one of them,
the days that were formed for me,
when as yet there were none of them.
 
17 How precious to me are your  thoughts, O God!
How vast is the sum of them!
18  If I would count them, they are more than  the sand.
I awake, and I am still with you.
 
19 Oh that you would  slay the wicked, O God!
O  men of blood,  depart from me!
20 They  speak against you with malicious intent;
your enemies  take your name in vain!
21  Do I not hate those who hate you, O Lord?
And do I not  loathe those who  rise up against you?
22 I hate them with complete hatred;
I count them my enemies.
23 Search me, O God, and know my heart!
 Try me and know my thoughts!
24 And see if there be any grievous way in me,
and  lead me in  the way everlasting!  
ESV

No comments: