Sunday, February 15, 2015

Verse of the Day 2/15

 
Habakkuk 3:17-18Though the fig tree does not bud
and there is no fruit on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
18 
yet I will triumph in Yahweh;
I will rejoice in the God of my salvation! Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
 
The other day we considered the "faith of our fathers - living still" and that this applied to leaders in our country's history like Abraham Lincoln down to the fathers in our churches and in our homes.  Today's verses reflect that kind of faith.  The attitude shines in the last verse in the passage and in the book of this prophet.  In spite of the bleak "landscape", the current circumstances with no visible relief, he has confidence that he will triumph, not in himself, but in faith in God and in His power.
 
It is a reminder, a call, a challenge that even though our landscape, physically in the gray of winter or in the trials of life, that better days are ahead for God's people, spring will come, whether it be physical or in terms of spiritual renewal, it will come.
 
In addition to our country's forefathers or our familial forefathers we can look back on the writings of phophets like Isaiah or Habakkuk, or kings like David and others to give us hope that we too may be able to navigate those fields as the deer in verse 19.
 
Habakkuk 3:19Yahweh my Lord is my strength;
He makes my feet like those of a deer
and enables me to walk on mountain heights!  Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)
 
Pastor James Smith reminds us that God is with us:
 
But, believer, your God says, "I am with you!" What a thought is this! God, the great, the glorious, the omnipotent Jehovah--is with me! He is . . .
with me to help me,
with me to comfort me,
with me to sanctify me,
with me to save me,
with me as a kind benignant Father,
with me in every place, in every trouble, in every conflict,
with me through all my journey and forevermore,
with me on the bed of sickness,
with me to hold communion with me,
with me to listen to my sighs,
with me to number my tears, and
with me to secure me from all injury!
 
May we feel safe and secure today, "leaning on the everlasting arms".
 
In Christ,
Mike
 
Follow the Verse of the Day blog at http://mikesvotd.blogspot.com
Eph 1:7 In him we have redemption through his blood, the forgiveness of sins, in accordance with the riches of God's grace  NIV

Habakkuk 3:16-18Holman Christian Standard Bible (HCSB)

Habakkuk's Confidence in God Expressed

16 I heard, and I trembled within;
my lips quivered at the sound.
Rottenness entered my bones;
I trembled where I stood.
Now I must quietly wait for the day of distress
to come against the people invading us.
17 Though the fig tree does not bud
and there is no fruit on the vines,
though the olive crop fails
and the fields produce no food,
though there are no sheep in the pen
and no cattle in the stalls,
18 yet I will triumph in Yahweh;
I will rejoice in the God of my salvation!

No comments: