Wednesday, February 4, 2015

Verse of the Day 2/4

Verse of the Day 2/4
Psalm 131:2  But I have calmed and quieted my soul,
like a weaned child with its mother;
  like a weaned child is my soul within me. English Standard Version (ESV)
 Today's verse comes from a short Psalm of David.  Being only three verses long it is easy to read quickly through or simply breeze right by it.  David starts out by saying that he is not puffed up, doesn't think too highly of himself.  He has grown, he has matured in his faith and knows his place before Almighty God.  His feet are on the ground (The Message), he is firmly rooted/grounded in his faith.

He then makes the contrast in verse two of the "weaned child".  We may not think of ourselves this way but the baby, the toddler is totally dependent upon the parent to supply all of it's needs.  However, when a baby is hungry he/she will let everyone know that it wants something.  A toddler may see a toy that he wants and may throw a tantrum if he doesn't get it.

Which of these scenario's is a better representation of how we approach God?  Ray Ortlund writes, ""Like a weaned child is my soul within me."  No longer fretful, demanding, impatient, infantile, David's heart came to rest with a sense of God's plan, God's nearness......Unless I am extruded (Schaeffer's wonderful word) into the higher place by the force of God's own hand, my life ends up counting for less than before, not more, no matter how impressive things may appear."

The sooner that we learn that we don't "rule the roost" (The Message) the better off we'll be.  The mature believer trusts, hopes and believes that God is greater.

God our peace, God our Father, God our rest
Yours forever is the glory, the honor
The victory and power

You're greater, greater
There's no one like our God
You alone are worthy
God You are greater, greater
There's no one like our King
All the earth is singing
"God you are greater"
You are, you are
God you are greater
You are, You are        ("Greater) - Elevation Worship

Blessings,
Mike
Follow the verse of the day at www.mikesvotd.blogspot.com

Psalm 131 The Message (MSG)

A Pilgrim Song

131 God, I'm not trying to rule the roost,
    I don't want to be king of the mountain.
I haven't meddled where I have no business
    or fantasized grandiose plans.
I've kept my feet on the ground,
    I've cultivated a quiet heart.
Like a baby content in its mother's arms,
    my soul is a baby content.
Wait, Israel, for God. Wait with hope.
    Hope now; hope always!

No comments: